Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I'm wearing contact and yesterday when I got home I start…

Customer Question
HI . I'm wearing...

HI . I'm wearing contact and yesterday when I got home I start feeling pain in my right eye but i didn't remove the contact lens right away .

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

This morning I woke up with red eye and it's painful

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not really

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Eye
8/5/2017
Eye Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. It sounds like that you could have one of a couple of possibilities. the first one is that youy have developed conjunctivitis which can be viral or bacterial in nature. Red eyes, watering and maybe even a discharge from the eye can all indicate a bacterial infection in many cases. in that situation you would need antibiotic eye drops to improve the situation. the other possibility is that of viral or allergic conjunctivitis which would usually resolve on its own however in severe cases steroid eye drops are needed to improve the inflammation in the eye.

Now it is also possible that you could have developed a corneal abrasion which is a scratch on the anterior surface of the eye which can lead to pain and redness, it is possible that something came in between the contact and the eye which resulted in this trauma. In minor cases, rest is the most important treatment modality and you would be given steroid eye drops along with an eye patch to help the eye heal.

Right now i think you should start using OTC antihistamines like zyrtec or claritin along with OTC ibuprofen at a dose of 200 mg thrice daily which will help in reducing the inflammation somewhat but not completely. Secondly given that you have pain in the eye with redness, i would urge getting this evaluated by visiting your doctor, the reason is that it is better to err on the side of caution when the eye is involved as an untreated infection can have serious consequences in the long run and even if this is not an infection steroid eye drops would significantly reduce the duration of the symptoms.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor