Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I have 3 titanium plates and 12 screws in my neck..it always…

Customer Question
I have 3 titanium...

I have 3 titanium plates and 12 screws in my neck..it always feels like iI have something stuck in my throat..and i find it hard to eat some foods. like steaks ..no mater how much I chew it up..I have a hard time swolling it..same problem with bread..chicken breast..and hambergers..I live alone and had a choking spell that scared me.I threw myself against the wall trying to move that food..and i did get it to move..But I dont eat those foods when Im alone any more...Is there anything I can do.

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

The last operation was in 2009...I gave a year hoping that it would clear..I feel like there is no longer enough space in my throat to eat the foods I like..and Starting in Jan 2017..I have had no voice..I cough all day and nite..I am alway clearing my throat..and It looks like I have these fibers coming from my pours.on my face.its crazy..its from ear to ear..below my eyes..and under my nose ..my chin..and above my top lip..what is that stuff..I can take a pair of twezzers and pull these fibers out..

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have had 8 operations starting in 1999..but this is my major concern and 3 of then was my neck..where im having this problem now.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Eye
8/2/2017
Eye Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. im sorry to hear about your symptoms. now the problems that you have swallowing are concerning and they should be investigated at the earliest. There are several possibilities which include problems due to the surgery itself or even due to other causes. The first one is that you could have suffered from damage to the nerves in the areas because of the surgery which is a rare complication. This would cause problems during swallowing and would be diagnosed with oesophageal motility studies and also with a complete neurological examination. Usually you would undergo retraining in terms of swallowing and various other treatments to help improve the function.

Other causes could include severe oesophagitis which is inflammation of the lining of the oesophagus along with reflux which can commonly cause this problem as well. this would occur after surgery in some cases and would be diagnosed with a simple endoscopy and would be treated with dietary managements and acid reducing drugs like OTC prilosec at a dose of 20 mg twice daily. The presence of coughing also indicates that the acid could be irritating your lungs and causing the coughing.

Yet another cause of this could be associated with the muscles of the oesophagus or even a disorder like hiatus hernia in which the stomach comes back up into the chest and would cause problems swallowing. Conditions like pouches in the oesophagus can also cause this problem.

The fibers coming from your face can be a skin disorder which is causing increased production of sebum or other materials, if you have a picture of these fibers it would be easier for me to determine what this can be. But regarding the swallowing issue, i would recommend the following,

Endoscopy

Barium swallow studies

Oesophageal motility studies

CT scan of the chest

These should help you determine the exact cause for the swallowing problem.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.