Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

My hubby had his blood checked. the first time tests on

Customer Question
My hubby had his...

My hubby had his blood checked. the first time tests on hemoglobin and cholesterol were so low that Dr reran the tests which came back even lower. What do you think is going on? He didn't give us any ideas excep to schedule a colonoscopy and prescribed a cat scan. Hubby has been extremely tired, sleeping a lot and his eyes say he's uncomfortable.

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

Mother had a defibulator

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Father had diverticulitis

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/30/2017
Eye Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 11 months ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Liver disease can cause low cholesterol.
Low hemoglobin level can be due to the iron deficiency, vitamin B12 deficiency, or bone marrow problem.
Certain malignancies can cause such changes for example.
Do you have his detailed labs here?

I do not have access to his lab work. We are going to try to bump up his cat scan and pre-colonoscopy appointments for the beginning of next week rather than end of next week. He is very ill.

That is reasonable approach.
He should be admitted to hospital if his condition deteriorates further.
CT scan should include chest, abdomen and pelvis to look for any tumor or its spread.
Peripheral blood smear is also required to look for any blood cell malignancy.
Serum and urine protein electrophoresis also required to check for paraproteinemias like multiple myeloma.
Best wishes