Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am taking several medications for lupus and complications

Customer Question

I am taking several medications for lupus and complications I tested positive on a drug test for cocaine. I do not do illegal drugs I am a preschool teacher and I would like to know if if there's anyway if I list my medicines somebody could tell me something how this is possible or what could cause it
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I take diclofenac, sulfasalazine, lidocaine hydrocolride,steroids, something called magic mouthwash it has so much in it, cyclobenzaprine,propranolol,klonapin...only as needed,and ive been on several antibiotics as well as,steroid eyedrops and 2 eye antibiotics whew!!!! Oh and in the hospital they gave me a pain patch
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: My 1 kidney is failing
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

From the list of drugs you are taking ,lidocaine can cause false positive cocaine test. Thats the most probable reason for your positive test result.

hope it answered your query.

Feel free to ask any further queries.

Please reward a 5 stars rating if you are satisfied.

You can always opt-out if you need a second opinion.

Please avoid leaving a low rating as it hurts an expert's standing

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
mine)This is the mouthwashes..not sure which magic it is i believe w/
Magic Mouthwash-version I: Maalox(R), Benedryl, Lidocaine (antacid, antihistamine, anesthetic)
Magic Mouthwash-version II: Mylanta(R), Benedryl, Sucralfate (antacid, antihistamine, anesthetic)
Miracle Mouthwash: Tetracycline, Nystatin, Dexamethasone, Diphenhydramine (antibiotic, antifungal, steroid, antihistamine)

Thanks for the additional info. Lidocaine is the only possible culprit drug in that list

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 months ago.

Hello. This is Dr. Love. This question was placed on the Question List again.

Do you know what type of drug test was done?

It is most common to perform drug tests on the urine, and if so, what type of urine drug test was done?