Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Second opinion please. I went in to eye doctor due pain in

left eye. Doctor looked at...
Second opinion please. I went in to eye doctor due pain in left eye. Doctor looked at my eye and told me that I have Staph Marginal Infoltrates. Not sure if spelled right. He said it was an immune response but not contagious to the other eye and that I only needed Toramycin and no oral. He said to come back in 5 days.i am confused as to what I have and how I got this. I asked if common and he said not really. it's the eye that I had ptosis and had surgery in 2014. I also go for botox every 3 mon to keep it more open. Can you explain this to me
7/27/2017
MD Doc
MD Doc, Dr

can you give me some more information-

- what were your symptoms when you went to get your eye examined? - pain, irritation, discharge?

- any trauma or something fell in your eye?

- are you on any other medicines?

- how are your symptoms after putting tobramycin eye drops and how frequently are you putting them?

Regards

scratchy red inner corner. felt like something underbid. headache felt also like dry eyes. Beginning of this I was at computer and felt a single burning sensation in the eye. put lubricant and had to keep doing to coat it but continued to have symptoms so went next day to doc. I have had swelling in the eye from past Ptsosis surgery on that lid in 2014. I go to doc every 3 months to have botox to lift the lid. The last on in May was a little too much botox and my eye gel part was swollen and irritated. my eye was slightly open when I slept so it was dry until the botox wore off a little. I had to change prescription on my glasses after this last botox. My left eye was weaker from last year slightly. the dr ( another dr not the eye specialist) at the eyeglass store tested my eye in June and said it was dry and to sleep with a mask. I just finished Bactrim last week for bladder infection. I am taking probiotics now to replace good bacteria. I have used the tobramycin twice tonight and 100 percent better. no pain or scratch anymore.
under lid

thanks for the information.

Given the detailed information, it seems that you got a bacterial infection in your eye. It might have been due to a combination of dryness (caused by botox) and the fact some of your eye remained open while sleeping. Since you have responded well to the antibiotic eye drop, continue it for 7-10 days for the infection to off completely. Also, keep using the lubricating eye drops. To help reduce the dryness in morning, you can use genteal eye gel (lubricating gel) just before going to sleep. This is will help in reducing the dryness to a large extent and prevent any further such infections.

Genteal eye gel is available over the counter.

Regards

Thank you for your response. Why do you think he called it such a strange name when it was just bacterial. Do you think it was from my fingers or makeup in my eye? He acted. by site that it was an auto immune reaction to Staph in my body and had been there for awhile.
Can you tell me why I need a steroid combo instead of just antibiotic and why my doctor would say it is not common what I have. Again I think serious are not good for the eye. I never told him about the botox like I told you. He seemed rushed and just looked and prescribed Tobramycin with suspension

Staph is a kind of bacterial ulcer. Since I cannot examine your first hand, I am presuming the infection was on the margin of the cornea. The name for that is staph marginal infiltrates. It is seen that giving a combo of a mild steroid with antibiotic eye drops fastens the recovery time, depending from patient to patient. Long term steroid use without doctor's knowledge is definitely not good But short term use is of no harm.

Hope this information is helpful. Do give a positive feedback once you accept my answer, so that i can be compensated for my efforts.

Regards

could botox to the eye lid cause this or just dry eyes from being to open and bacteria got in. Can you also explain if this could be cause from prescription glasses to strong or constant computer work
Why is what I have uncommon as my doc explained
I just woke up and my inner same eye was starting to hurt. Strange that I wan lying on that side as last time when I started feeling the scratchiness

This is an infection, not related to prescription glasses. As I wrote before it is a combination of dryness (caused by botox) and the fact some of your eye remained open while sleeping. Dryness makes an eye susceptible to any infection. So, to avoid further infections, regularly use lubricating eye drops. Also, complete the course of antibiotic drops a as prescribed

Hope this information is helpful. Do give a positive feedback once you accept my answer so that I can be compensated for my efforts.

Regards

MD Doc
MD Doc, Dr
MD Doc
MD Doc
MD Doc, Dr