Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I accidently rinsed my contact lens in the peroxide solution…

I accidently rinsed my contact...
I accidently rinsed my contact lens in the peroxide solution & put it in my eye. I got the contact out almost right away; however my eye is very red and irritated. I am wanting to know what; if anything; I can do to help with the pain, redness etc.
thanks
7/26/2017
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Is this the peroxide solution you clean your contact with using the bottle with the little platinum disk?

Did you rinse your eyes out with clean, running tap water?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
with the Platinum disc. 3% solution. I did this thismorning and have been flushing it all day. My eye lid is swollen and I have trouble keeping my eye open.

Thank you for that additional information.

Good news.

This chemical will not cause any permanent damage to your eye at all.....but, as you already found out, it can make things make your eyes hurt a lot.

But, by the morning, things should be feeling much better.

So. What should you do now?

1. No need to rinse out your eye anymore...that is probably just irritating your eye at this point.

2. cold compresses.

3. Soothe your eyes with preservative fee artificial tears.

4. Relax. Everything will be fine in the long run.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD