Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I have a question. My right eye changed drastically last yr.

Hi. I have a...

Hi. I have a question. My right eye changed drastically last yr. I took an msm supplement and overnight literally my right eye changed size and the eyelid and crease are smaller.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is your eyelid swollen at all?

No. It looks I got punched in the eye. My eye doctor noticed the eye size change and the whole eye is darker and smaller. It happened just one night like I woke up next morning and my brother noticed it too.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Just that i have low pressurr, my feet are cold alot and sometimes it gets numb. Have family history of high blood pressure and diabetes

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think it is caused by the msm powder because I took it a few days at high dose and the fourth night I get a headache and my whole right side of body hurt and my eye was dark and smaller. Is thee any chance it will go back to its organal size?
7/24/2017
MD Doc
MD Doc, Dr

MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) powder is an organic compound. The effects you are experiencing have not been documented by it. But still, these can happen. There are no long term studies done by MSM to show such side effects. The dark eye, looking like a punch, indicates that there might have been a bleed in the surrounding area under the skin. This gives the appearance of black or dark eye. The other accompanying symptoms affecting the right side of your body again could be due to the powder. But these symptoms could be totally due to a different reason. It could be a vascular cause or neurological. I would recommend you to get a detailed evaluation done to rule out other causes.

As far as the size of the eye is concerned, if the decrease in size is only due to a bleed under the skin with no involvement of nerves, it will slowly come to normal.

Hope this information helps, do get back for more queries

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi. How am I able to tell if it is vascular or neurological? My eye doctor did not bring any of this up. He noted the change and did not say anything. It has been few months now and I am worried he is not going back to normal. If it is neurological caused, do I need surgery to correct it?

It is difficult to pin point an exact cause without a first-hand examination. But the symptoms of a headache with the right side of the body getting affected, getting a black eye with no trauma and a drooping of the eyelid of that side all indicate a vascular or a neurological phenomenon can be a cause. if your doctor did a thorough examination when you visited and carried out tests, then these causes might have been ruled out. As you are saying that it has been months since the episode and the eyelid is not going back to normal, it might be some residual neurological effect. Again can be sure on a thorough examination. Whether surgery is needed or not depends on the strength of muscles in the eyelid.

Regards

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi. Is it my eye doctor who is supposed to carry out the tests or my regular medical doctor?

First, go to your regular doctor if you are still feeling a weakness or problem in right side of the body. But if only your eye is involved, then go to your eye doctor.

Hope this information helps you. Kindly do leave a positive feedback so that I am compensated for my efforts

Thanks

MD Doc
MD Doc, Dr