Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

My eyes are red and painful. I have history of severe

Customer Question
My eyes are red...

My eyes are red and painful. I have history of severe allergies but wondering if this is something more.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

It's now been 3 days. I have a referral in to see an opthomologist but nothing seems to temporarily take the pain away. I am using otc soothe eye drops right now.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I do wear glasses, I smoke, 40 yo female.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Eye
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
also experiencing frequent headaches.
7/9/2017
Eye Doctor: Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist replied 1 year ago
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist

Thank you for the question. I am Dr.A.S.Desai, certified ophthalmologist and I look forward to answering this question.

Acute painful red eye can occur in case of dry eyes, acute iridocyclitis, keratitis, episcleritis. Except for dry eyes the other conditions would not disappear with the use of artificial tear drops. Allergic conjunctivitis does cause sudden redness and itching in the eyes but not pain.

Since you do have a referral to an ophthalmologist, I guess it is correct to continue with the artificial tear eye drops ( Refresh tears/Systane/Optive / any other brand), 1 drop 4 times a day. In addition to these you can put Alaway/Zaditor eye drops, available over the counter, 1 drop 2 times a day , till the visit to the ophthalmologist. It has anti-allergic and anti-inflammatory properties and should help relieve your symptoms for the moment. I hope this helps.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist