Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I have myopia in the range of about -6.50 OD and -7.50 OS…

Customer Question
I have myopia in the...
I have myopia in the range of about -6.50 OD and -7.50 OS and wear RGP contacts daily. I have almost no astigmatism in my right eye, and very slight astigmatism in the left. In the evening after removing my contacts, I wear glasses. I've had my eyes checked annually for the past couple years, and my prescriptions are up to date. However, the strange thing is that with my contacts, I have better visual acuity with my right contact than my left contact. Then, when I wear my glasses, visual acuity is much better with my left eye than the right. My left contact lens is noticeably underpowered, but yet with glasses I can see perfectly with my left eye. Is there a scientific explanation for this, or is my optometrist simply not prescribing accurately? I've also had several pairs of glasses made with the same prescription, so I've ruled out a lens crafting error. It would be nice to be able to see consistently well with either glasses or contacts. Thank you in advance for your advice/opinions.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Eye
7/8/2017
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 11 months ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

While it is hard to say what, exactly, is going on you are probably getting some corneal warping from the contacts.

In any event, this is not anything to worry about and I do not believe that there has been any error in making your glasses.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS