Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I am 74. I've got a cataract surgery yesterday. IOL is 18.0

Hi! I am 74. I've...
Hi! I am 74. I've got a cataract surgery yesterday. IOL is 18.0 D. I ask my surgeon to follow a nature of my both eyes, which are always been myopic approx -2D correction and mild astigmatism. I rejected any astigmatism correction neither Torric, nor laser. This operated eye was already "under re-construction'' in glaucoma (double!) surgery. Now my question: Is 18 D really should give me a myopic situation, which will be symmetrical to other eye? My goal was to have smaller correction for reading not for driving.
7/4/2017
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

In order to know the expected refractive error of your eye post up with any given IOL power I would need to do special calculations. For these calculations I would need to know your A scan data (length of your eye), your corneal K readings, and A constant for the lens used.

That being said it is entirely possible for a 18Diopter IOL to be the correct power to give you the post-op visual outcome you desire.....only time will tell at this point.

If you are not happy with the amount of residual myopia you have after your eye has healed up from the surgery then you can always have this IOL explanted and new one put in its place.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Thanks Dr. Rick for your answer. Unfortunately I won't be able to provide the data you mentioned since I will not ask the doctor for the records (from ethical stand-point). Hopefully his measurements and calculations were done on the same scientific/practical basis as you would use for these calculations. As every patient I simply was looking for the "piece of mind".I understand that it requires some time for vision stabilization upon the surgery. Thanks again for answer. Best regards, Arnold

Arnold,

I bet your surgeon picked the lens to implant taking into account the outcome you want as well as her decades of surgical experience. Some of the formula's have a "surgeon fudge factor" that can be incorporated to customize things to a specific doctor....

Hope you had a great 4th.

Take care.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Thank you Dr.Rick! I have additional question. Just a minute ago I look to diffraction pattern of this eye (scattered light source through pin-hole). The image disturbed me. There is a thin line almost on a diameter (approx. 30 deg tilted from horizontal). Of course, there is no that ugly spider-work, which was in my natural (with cataract) lens. But what this line might be? Could it be something temporarily (it is just 60 hrs upon surgery) or could it be a damage, defect of IOL?
Oops! Apparently even mild anesthesia affects cognitive abilities :(. My last question is silly! What else could be that straight line across the vision field?! It is just an incision, which could not disappear for 60 hours. Sorry to disturb you, Dr Rick for nothing.
Thank you very much,
Arnold

Arnold,

It is too early to start worrying about start checking a diffraction pattern of your eye....

Patience, Grasshopper :)

Surely! :)

Have a good weekend

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD