Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

FOR DR RICK ONLY So yesterday night I took out my contacts…

FOR DR RICK ONLY So yesterday...
FOR DR RICK ONLY
So yesterday night I took out my contacts my left eye is fineand doesn't feel irritated
But my right eye feels like it's irritated, it doesn't look bloodshot but it feels like .... it's just not happy and I'm not putting in my contacts because I'm scared I'll make it worse.
I made an appointment for Monday morning but am I ok ? Is this irritation normal?
7/2/2017
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

No. This irritation is not normal.

You may have a corneal abrasion. There is a high risk that this could turn into/might already be a corneal ulcer. A corneal ulcer is an infection of the "meat" of the front of your eyeball and can be very serious.

So. What should you do?

If your eye is still hurting a lot this morning you should call your eye doctor and see if she has someone who is oncall and can see you in the office this morning.

If no one is available at the eye doctors office then you should go to the ER.

Corneal ulcers in patients who wear contacts can get very bad real fast. As such you should not wait until Monday morning.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

One other thing.....I see you posted your question at three in the morning.

If your eye pain woke you up then you need to be seen by a doctor ASAP, even if this means going to the ER. At some ERs they have an ophthalmologist on call who can come in and take care of you. If not then being seen by a regular ER doctor is the next best thing.

I hope you feel better soon.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't have pain it just feels really dry
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I called my doctor yesterday they said it was normal since It was my first time wearing it and I put in dry eye drops and it feels fine now
I didn't wake up from pain at 3am...
idk how this message got sent at 3am
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Plus I read that corneal abrasions you would feel a huge amount of pain and are sensitive to light. I'm fine in the light and I don't have pain that makes me wanna punch someone. In fact the only thing is my eyes are dry
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Plus wouldn't it be red?
My eyes aren't red at all
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have an appointment tomorrow at 7am anyways I'll go to the eye doctor just to check up anyways

Thanks for that additional information.

Yes. It does sound like your eyes are dry.

I bet you also have blepharitis. Here is a home therapy you can do to help (ignore most of this post other than the lid scrubs and drops):

It sounds like you are suffering from an anterior segment/tear film issue. Many times, for all sorts of reasons, the anterior surface of the eye starts to have difficulties. What can cause this? Well, there are a number of conditions but the most common are dry eyes, allergies and blepharitis....many times all three conditions act together to make you miserable. In order to solve your problem you need to address all of these issues at the same time.

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production and the use of a medication called restasis to improve your tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose. If this does not give relief then your eyelid opening can be made smaller with surgery (lateral Tarsorrhaphy).

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition is daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

I understand that this treatment seems a bit "too low tech" to be of value, but after 2 decades of clinical practice, I can assure you (even from personal experience :) that it does, indeed, work.

Does this make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I know I have blepharitis I use Ocusoft lid scrub in the shower
So you don't think I have a corneal abrasion just blepharitis? With dry eye?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm confused now?

Yes. Given the additional information you provided.

If I had you in my office I'd be able to tell you exactly what is going on......doing it via chat is a bit harder ;)

So. What is the take home message?

1. Doesn't sound like you have a corneal ulcer.

2. I bet you have blepharits, possibly dry eye and allergies....

3. The lid scrubs I mentioned work better using your finger then ocusoft scrubs, which you have to buy and be careful not to touch your eyball with.....you got your fingers at no cost to you and, best of all, they are reusable. :)

4. Seeing your Doc tomorrow is a good idea.....better safe than sorry.

5. Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button.

Make sense?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah they feel incredibly dry after I took out my contacts
I'm never wearing contacts again

Well, at least until you get your anterior segment/dry eye issues under better control.

See the feedback button? Don't be afraid of it. It is fun to push. Give it a try.

Trust Me. I'm a Doctor ;)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah I have a problem with what you just said... I have secretions that come out of my eyelids when pressed. Sometimes I get styes
Also my eye turns randomnly bloodshot red pre contact lenses. I have to get steroid eye drops for this.
So yea I usually have some type of issue with my right eye... I'm no stranger to it
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't think I'll be wearing contacts soon

steroid eye drops are dangerous.....I'd be very, very careful with their use (Said in an Elmer Fudd voice)

Hm......the feedback button seems to still be unpushed. Very Strange. :)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah I lost the bottle but why is it dangerous ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I love Lotemax, it clears up the redness in a day or less

It is like using a 10 megaton nuclear bomb to get rid of a guy riding a motorcycle in New York City.....

Ya. It will take out the guy on the Harley but there is a bit of collateral damage.....

Don't use it anymore.

Without positive feedback from you I don't get compensated.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't use it unless my eyes get red
So all in all you don't think I have a corneal abrasion right?

Steroids are not for getting the red out of your eyes, just like nuclear bombs are not for killing one dude on motorcycle in the middle of a city of 8 millions souls.

That is correct. From what you have posted I do not thing you have a corneal abrasion or ulcer.

So. Would you like to discuss this fear you have of the positive feedback button? Perhaps I can help ;)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what would the doctor be able to do tomorrow morning? Would he examine my eye using that yellow dye?

.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What????
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
are you serious?
You're not gonna answer my question?

I am sure he will do a complete exam including using the yellow dye.

I guess there is no need for me to ask you to rate me......

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD