Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

This is for a optomologist..i ahve dry eye disease for along…

this is for a optomologist..i...
this is for a optomologist..i ahve dry eye disease for along time now but about a month but use all kinds of drops for that. i kept feeling something in the white of my eye which is kinda on the side of the eyeball felt like something in it went to my optomatrist and he said they are yellow growths called pingueculums..he siad they are from the sun and sounldnt casue me issues and i said well this one is.its protruding and the eye lid rubs it and it bothers my eye a good bit and stay irritated..so he gave me prenisone eye drops but it hasnt done anything except make my eyes feel alot dryer..so what can i do for this and what doctor do i go to..been trying to see a optomologost but they are booked out for 3 months and this thing really hurts and giving me headaches and my vision isnt very clear.
6/28/2017
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist

I am Dr.A.S.Desai, ophthalmologist and I look forward to answering this question for you.

I don't think that a Pinguecula would cause blurring of vision or headache. It is more of a cosmetic issue and rarely needs any treatment.

However most of your symptoms are likely in the presence of dry eyes. I suggest you to start using artificial tear eye drops such as Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day for 2-3 weeks. Use a good pair of sunglasses when outdoors.

Avoid prolonged use of computer/mobile/constant reading. Try to blink as frequently as possible.

I look forward to answering further questions, if any.

Do rate this response positively if you find the answer useful and satisfactory.

Thank you

Regards

Dr.A.S.Desai

i do use all the drops for my dry eyes..i use restasis i use thera tears wetting drops 4 times a day..i use fresh kote wetting drops..and when i tried these steriod drops made my eyes worse..but he said the ping thing is protruding some..and it is bother only my left eye..i also ahve one in my right eye but it doesnt bother me...so since it pokes out alittle it rubs my eye lid and casuing alittle bothersome....so there has got to be something else i can do for this..or maybe even surgery to remove it..i ahve read sometimes they do bother people..have you ever removed these

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

No, I have never done surgery for a pinguecula. However an early pterygium might look more like a pinguecula. Pterygium can cause nasty irritation and can be removed surgically. It is common for pterygium to be excised and treated with a conjunctival autograft to prevent recurrence. Until you get an appointment with your ophthalmologist to discuss about surgery, I guess it is alright to continue with the all the lubricating eye drops.

Thank you and best wishes

what causes these and what the difference between pinguecula and pterygium

Pterygium is more fleshy and raised, caused by degeneration of the conjunctiva( white part) from exposure to UV radiation of sunlight, dust. It grows very slowly towards the colored part of the eye

Pinguecula is more like a fatty degeneration of conjunctiva. It remains like a fat globule and does not grow or change in size.

oh so this is more like a pterygium..since mie is raised and causeing a issue for me then..guess the regular eye doc dont know the diference..so then should i go to the specialist to see if they can do anything

Yes, it is better to take expert advise as further management would depend on the diagnosis made.

Thank you and best wishes

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist