Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I was told by my OD that I have a lump or swollenness in my…

Customer Question
I was told by...

I was told by my OD that I have a lump or swollenness in my retina. She is sending me to a Retina Specialist. What could this be?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you experienced any changes or blurriness in your vision? Eye pain? Are your eyes dry or bloodshot?

Blurriness and some pain. Kind of a grey spot in my vision.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

It started on Sunday afternoon. Wednesday had extreme pain. Yesterday and today just a dull feeling...almost like a black eye

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Eye
6/23/2017
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 11 months ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Was told by my OD that I have a lump or swollenness in my retina. She is sending me to a Retina Specialist. What could this be?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you experienced any changes or blurriness in your vision? Eye pain? Are your eyes dry or bloodshot?

Blurriness and some pain. Kind of a grey spot inmy vision.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

How old are you?

Do you have any visual problems?

can you upload the picture the optometrist took?

Where is the grey spot in your vision? Which eye?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

I am 56. Other than needing a prescription for glasses...no issues. Grey spot is in middle lower left eye. the only medication I take is Excedrine Migraine occasionally, and OTC Prilosec.

Thank you for that additional information.

As a retina surgeon I am glad that your optometrist is sending you to someone who knows what they are doing when it comes to the retina.

That being said, without more data, or a copy of the picture your OD took of this lesion I am unable to pin down with any degree of certainty what she is talking about....

That being said, in and of themselves, lesions of the retina are not painful so I doubt what she has found is causing your discomfort.

So. What should you do?

A full exam by a general ophthalmologist or, as you already have scheduled, a retina specialist should be able to quickly get to the bottom of what is going on with your eye.

At this point there is no need to panic.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD