Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I went to my regular eye dr. today. he said i have some

Customer Question
spots on my retina's that...
i went to my regular eye dr. today. he said i have some spots on my retina's that may be the beginning of macular degeneration but, he didn't know for sure and said we'd just have to monitor it. he did say the spots could have been there for some time and he has'nt seen them until now. he said the spots could have been a result of looking at the sun or exposure to bright light years ago.
i have an extreme fear of blindness and don't want to obsess over this.
i'm 65. there is no known history in my family of mac. degen. my parents lived into their 90's; grandparents on both sides lived into their 80's as did my great-grandparents on my father's side.
so, how concerned should i be about this and, should i perhaps get a second opinion. v
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Eye
6/17/2017
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

I am a retina specialist.

It sounds like your regular eye doctor has no idea what he is seeing........and his explanation that they are from looking at the sun or bright light exposure make no sense at all.

So. What should you do?

I suggest you have a full eye exam by an ophthalmologist (Eye MD). This way you will get an idea of what exactly is going on with your retina.

As you already know your vision is too important to leave to guessing what is going on......

I'm actually very disappointed that your regular eye doctor, when he had no idea of what he was seeing in your eye, didn't immediately refer you to someone better trained.....

That being said, from what you have posted, I do not feel there is any need for you to panic. I very, very much doubt you will go blind from what your regular eye doctor has "found".

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD