Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (non-eye specialty)
Experience:  MBBS MS
5625079

I can't get an answer as to what's wrong with me. My

Customer Question

I can't get an answer as to what's wrong with me. My symptoms are that I feel tired all the time, have dark circles under my eyes, and simply can't do anything that is at all aerobic. I also get that brain fog thing. I have had blood tests and much to my huge surprise, they were all normal. I had fully been expecting to have some kind iron/B12 or something deficiency, but that's all fine.It started when I was on holiday for a month, and instead of getting fitter cycling up this tiny hill each day, I got worse, and worse, each day until I could only walk up.I know it is not chronic fatigue as I had that a long time ago and the tiredness is different. Plus with this, if I do have to walk up a small hill, I'll get really tired after, and if I sleep for half an hour, I'll be better. With chronic fatigue, if I was active, I'd know all about it the following day too.So today I was just out at lunch from work, walking down the flat street, and noticed my heart was going hard - 128bpm. Just no reason. I've had blood pressure, doctor listening to the heart and all that - and I'm told it's all fine.What I do have is nasal valve collapse on both sides, but I can't imagine that could make me so tired all the time and unable to do anything that needs a bit more breathing/bloodflow.Do you have any ideas of things I could get tested for that might be causing this.
Thanks
Nicola
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi there - I don't understand why this went to an eye doctor. I'm sure I didn't select that as it's not an eye thing sorry.

Hello Nicola,

Following are the possibilities of the causes of fatigue;

Thyroid disease

Connective tissue diseases

Chronic anemia

Neoplastic disease

Chronic infections like Epstein Barr virus

Endocrine diseases (Addison disease).

Chronic fatigue syndrome

Myasthenia Gravis.

You would need following investigations (some must have been done):

Complete blood count (CBC)

Liver function tests

Thyroid function tests

Erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR)

Serum electrolyte level measurement

Immunoglobulin M (IgM)/immunoglobulin G (IgG) coxsackievirus B titer

IgM/IgG human herpesvirus 6 (HHV-6) titer

IgM/IgG C pneumoniae titer

Autoimmune panel

Anemia panel.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions. It is privilege assisting you.Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.