Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I often see like lighting points, especially when I move my…

Hi! I often see like...
Hi! I often see like lighting points, especially when I move my head. What could this be?
6/8/2017
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, or a decrease in your vision that doesn't improve in a few minutes this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

What can you do about the floaters? Well, floaters don't go away, and they don't really get worse. Over time they tend to "sink" out of your central vision and you brain "filters" them out so you don't notice them so much anymore. They almost never cause significant visual problems except, of course, if they cause a secondary retinal detachment as discussed above. The only way to decrease or remove the floaters is with a major surgery called a vitrectomy. As a retinal specialist for almost 2 decades I only do this procedure to remove floaters in extreme cases.

In January 2013 a new drug, called Ocriplasmin, was approved by the FDA to dissolve vitreous strands in a particular eye condition called vitreomacular traction. Perhaps someday this drug could be used to also remove floaters…. Only time will tell.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

.

Hi! I am not sure if it is really a Problem by the eyes, because I only get it wheb I move my head strongly or if I bench over

At your age I would not think that you are suffering from any sort of vascular or neurological disorder in your neck that would be causing this issue.

If you are concerned, and you do not think it is from your eyes, then the best way to get to the root of the problem would be to see your primary care MD for a complete exam and, possibly, imaging of your head and neck.

From what you have posted I do not think you are suffering from any horrible condition, no matter what the Evil Dr. Google may have suggested.

Make sense?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

My doctors are not sure if I fulfill the Criteria of chiari syndrome. Could this Symptom be from chiari?

Not in my experience.

If you believe you have Arnold Chiari malformation then you should have a complete workup done along with a diagnosis of the specific type you may have. This way you will know what is going on and what, if any, intervention you need.

From what you have told me here today I very much doubt you have ACM.

Make sense?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
I have a herniation of 5mm but my Doctors do Not believe that I Need Intervention

Sounds like you are getting excellent care and advice.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD