Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I am seeing flashes of light in both eyes ..sometimes in

Customer Question
streaks ..some seem circular...also my...
I am seeing flashes of light in both eyes ..sometimes in streaks ..some seem circular...also my left eye at times blurs and then clears again..is this serious?
JA: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?
Customer: I did see a eye doctor who Dialated my left eye a few weeks ago my right eye was not having problems at the time he'd said he did not see any separation of gel from the Cornea my concern is that the light flashes are not going away-and that it has developed in my right eye
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Cornea my concern is that the light flashes are not going away-and that it has developed in my right eye
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Eye
6/6/2017
Eye Doctor: Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist replied 6 months ago
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist

Thank you for the question. I am Dr.A.S.Desai, certified ophthalmologist and I look forward to answering this question.

The most likely cause for the flashes of light and momentary blurring of vision is posterior vitreous detachment(PVD).

PVD is an age related change occurring in the back of the eye. The thick gel in the middle of the eye called as vitreous begins to get detached from its surrounding , resulting in symptoms of flashes and floaters. The detached vitreous can clump and cause momentary blurring of vision. Being a floater it usually comes and goes out of visual field.

Flashes of light occur due to traction on the retina during the vitreous detachment. PVD can be partial or total and can occur as a single episode of separation or might take longer time to separate.

It is a common condition noticed with increasing age and is not something to worry about. A dilated eye exam should be performed by an ophthalmologist to look at the periphery of the retina( this dilated eye exam has already been done in your case for the left eye). Now that you are experiencing the same symptoms in the right eye also, I guess the dilated eye exam can be repeated in the right eye also. In case tiny retinal holes are noted then they can be followed up with annual dilated eye exam. If multiple, they can even be sealed with the help of lasers.

Flashes of light usually continue until complete separation of vitreous occurs. The duration of this , however, varies from individual to individual. It can vary from days to weeks. So I guess nothing to worry as of now.

Thank you and best wishes

Do remember to rate this response positively if it was up to your satisfaction.

Regards

Dr..A.S.Desai

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist