Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I have had ocular migraines for several years but had a an…

i have had ocular migraines...
i have had ocular migraines for several years but had a an unusual symptom yesterday that scared me. wondering if this new symptom means they are getting worse or i will go blind
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/3/2017
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (non-eye specialty)

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Please tell me more about this new symptom

I usually get a moving ziz zaz arc that spreads across in one eye gradually rerbreaks up and fades either top to bottom of arc after about 15 minutes. had a normal mri and saw a eye neurologist 2 years ago normal. saw my retina specialist 2 weeks ago and also had a visual field test normal, yesterday bright sunny and i was driving sun glasses on gray colored road. suddenly saw a few small ( 2 or 3 ) jumping black spots quickly on left side in front of very quickly at first not sure what i saw. then as I focused on gray pavement on car in front of me it started black spot or spots (not sure) started flashing. lasted about a minute.

And why do you see a retina specialist?

he is in the practice and when my opthamologist saw me for the migraines had me see him and I stayed with him. what do u think about yesterday i am ver scared
i also have cataracts

I understand

These were floaters--temporary changes in the density of the vitreous humor--the jelly in the eyeball

Nothing really worrisome--not a transient ischemic attack (threatened stroke) and not related to your ocular migraines

This may not happen again but I assure you it doesn't mean you're going blind

Please let me know if you need any more information

how do u know they were floaters because the computer says black flashing dots are negative signs ocular migraines and i am worried why would i switch from positive to negative and does that mean its worse and going blind

The fact that they were so brief doesn't to me indicate that these were part of your ocular migraines

I understand your concern but even ocular migraines don't cause permanent blindness

sometimes i get a quick white or black dot before the ziz zaz aura but this was different. i thought floaters float these were just popping in and out like fire flies and seemed to be on the gray pavement road in front of me thanks

Temporary floaters really don't have time to move around

But i assure you this isn't anything serious

what was causing the flashing of them, if it was migraine how long would it last this seemed less than 5 minutes and i think it was floaters because seemed to be when i focused on pavement ?? still very scared it will happen again

A migraine would have lasted at least 15 minutes

It really wasn't actual flashing--just a little tugging on your retina

how do u know it was not tia ?

It lasted for too short a period of time and you had no other symptoms like balance problems, speech slurring, weakness on one side, etc

thank you I feel so much better. 5 star and bonus. how can i request you again if i have issues Ruth

Entirely my pleasure Ruth

In the future just start a new question with "For Dr Chip ONLY"

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (non-eye specialty)
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (non-eye specialty)