Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I am a 33-year-old male. At age 10, I began have diffuse

Hello,I am a 33-year-old male.At...
Hello,I am a 33-year-old male.At age 10, I began have diffuse floaters in both eyes. I was checked for retinal detachment, etc., at that time, and my eyes were normal. The floaters remained unchanged for more than 20 years, and I learned to ignore them in that time.It seems that my floaters were the result of an acute bout of uveitis (although there was no formal diagnosis).Starting in February of this year, I began noticing my floaters again. I believe this is because there are, for the first time in 23 years, new floaters, particularly in my left eye.I have also noticed that my vision is intermittently blurry (also since February). There is no pain in my eyes, but I do feel a feeling of pressure, particularly in the left eye. I don't see flashing lights, just the new floaters.I went to see my family doctor today, who shone a light in my eyes. He said my left pupil was reacting differently than my right one. He said I should go to an emergency room, to be safe, on suspicion of possible uveitis.I went to the emergency room and saw an ophthalmology residency doctor. We did a sight test, visual field test, she checked the back of my eyes, and did a pressure test. Everything is normal (vision is 20/20 with glasses --- I wasn't experiencing blurred vision today).She did notice that my left pupil and right pupil are both light-reactive, but my left pupil is 1 mm larger than my right one.She gave me a referral to see an opthalmologist outside the hospital.I'm concerned by the changes, in particular the pupil size. Could this indicate a problem with my brain? Should I be worried?
I should add, I also saw an opthalmologist in early 2016, at which time everything was deemed normal regarding both eyes. No mention was made about differing pupil sizes, so this seems to be a new development.Also, I had brain CT and MRI scans in 2014 (because of headaches). Both scans were normal.
6/2/2017
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist

Thank you for the question. I am Dr.A.S.Desai, certified ophthalmologist and I look forward to answering this question.

I wonder whether the the difference between the two pupils is really 1 mm. Considering that the vision is 20/20 in both eyes, with past eye exams revealing normal eyes and normal brain scans in the past, it is very unlikely that you have any pathology/abnormality in the eye.

One of the possibilities is that the eye with 1 mm larger pupil is more myopic than the other eye. I assume you have myopia ( short sightedness) for which you wear glasses. The floaters are also due to changes in the vitreous as seen in myopes.

You can check with your spectacle prescription. The left eye is likely to have a higher power.

If so, then nothing to worry.

I look forward to answering any further questions, if any.

Do rate this response positively if you find the answer useful and satisfactory.

Thank you

Regards

Dr.A.S.Desai

Hello,Yes, I am myopic, and my left eye (the one with the slightly larger pupil) is more myopic than the right eye.I saw an opthalmologist today who took various scans of my eye using the latest technology and he seems satisfied that nothing is wrong with my eyes.But do you have an idea why I developed severe floaters as a child, and why new floaters appeared a couple of months ago? Should I be concerned? As I said, my eye tests yesterday and today were normal.

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

It is good to know that the eye exam was normal and as suspected the left eye is more myopic which explains the larger pupil.

The recent bout of new floaters is due to changes in the vitreous. Vitreous is a thick jelly in the middle of the eye. However in myopia it becomes more liquefied and tends to separate from its attachments. This leads to floaters.

I am not sure about the cause of floaters as a child but again vitreous floaters is the most likely cause.

Thank you and best wishes

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Hello again,Just to be more specific, my left pupil is larger in the dark but not in normal light. In normal light, it is the same as the right pupil. In the dark, the difference is quite large: maybe 1 mm or larger, as the initial doctor pointed out. Is this cause for concern? I'm worried it could be a result of a brain lesion or other brain abnormality. (I had a brain MRI four years ago that was normal.)Thanks.
Also, I have had regular eye exams and this is the first time anyone has remarked upon my pupil dilation.
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist