Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Eyelid crusting powder like mist in eyes, ear, nose, and

Customer Question

eyelid crusting powder like mist in eyes, ear, nose, and mouth with coating on teeth. Happens day and night. I have been to at least 6 doctors for this which has been on going for 6 months. please help me. could this be a parasite of some kind? Patricia ********** [email protected]

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Captain replied 3 months ago.

Hello, welcome to the JustAnswer.com question/answer interface.

Your Doctor: I am a Family Medicine physician, trained and board-certified in the US with active licenses and certification, and 10 years of experience in Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, and Obstetrics and Gynecology. I have advanced training in Integrative Medicine & Functional Medicine, Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-versed in Alternative Medicine. So far, 99.5% of the Justanswer community of customers has found my answers helpful, and I currently have the honor of being the highest rated clinician on the site! I will do my best to win over your approval as well!

Excellent Reviews: For your review, here is a direct link with my current ratings: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/

To You: I have read your post and your query. I'm sorry for the stress this must be causing you! I can imagine you must be quite concerned, and I’m glad you’ve decided to get information from the experts, instead of randomly online. Would you like me to help you tackle what is going on with your eyelid crusting?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Excellent - the most common cause of eyelid crusting with excess tearing and mucous production is conjunctivitis, which is either caused by a virus, a bacteria, or what are called "atopic" causes, which can be pollen, lotions, anything that doesn't belong in/around the eyes but gets in. Parasites are almost unheard of, unless you're in a region which has endemic parasites. That being said, 6 months is a long time to be experiencing these symptoms. For something going on that long, I would first want to make sure all of the fundamentals are being addressed - can you tell me what medications you've been given (and used)? Any other new triggers that you can identify over the last year or so?