Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My husband has ascemic optic neuropathy and has been under

Customer Question

My husband has ascemic optic neuropathy and has been under his doctors care for the past***** Daut had contacted you at that poi
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: sorry.. the only thing he is doing at this point is to take Brimonidine Tartrate drops 2x daily takes 5mg of amlodipine . Hlodd pressure is under control. He lost a lot of vision in left eye and the cnter part of his right eye. There is a disturbance in the center of the right eye, but he does have fairly good periphreal vision. We wanted to know if there have been any advances in treatment since Dr. Daut contacted you 3 years ago...thanks so much for your time
JA: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?
Customer: He saw Dr. Daut in December and is scheduled again for June 13th. His vision varies from week to week. The left eye is 20/150 and right eye at 20/90, but it takes him a while to look at letters and determine what they are after "putting all the pieces "together
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Driving, reading, fishing and hunting are all a thing of the past, so I know there is a lot of frustration and probably depression.He is 70 years old and in very good health otherwise
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 months ago.

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 months ago.

Unfortunately there have not been any advances in the treatment of ischemic optic neuropathy that can restore the vision that your husband has lost.

It sounds like Dr. Daut is providing your husband with the most modern care possible.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS