Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Desai I tripped and fell and landed on the side of my face…

Customer Question
Hi Dr Desai I tripped and...
Hi Dr Desai
I tripped and fell and landed on the side of my face injuring the area above my eye , toward the side and up to the forehead. I have a dreadful black eye and bruising where I hit the concrete. It looks as though I have hit a small stone or something that has punctured the area at the outward end of my brow.
I went to my general practitioner who cleaned the wound etc and said I'd be fine - and I am, except my eyebrow can't move up at all and is unusually low over my eye. I look ok completely lop sided. My GP said it was just swelling, as this was obvious immediately after the fall. But I am concerned as it's now five full days since the fall and still I have no abi
It's to move my brow, try as I might.
My thoughts are to go back to the Dr in case I have damaged a nerve. What is your advice please?
Thank you
Jules
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Eye
5/9/2017
Eye Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. It seems as if Dr. Desai is offline, would you like for me to answer your question? Also do you have a picture of the area which you can attach here?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Muneeb
Yes please, could you assist? I may have sent you a response with a random picture! I'm not sure what pic I sent - so apologies.

Thank you for the response,

Now if you are unable to move your eyebrow upward AT ALL and there are no furrows caused in your forehead when you try to look upwards then it is likely that you may have damaged a branch of your facial nerve. It is the facial nerve or the 7th Cranial nerve which controls the movement of the eyebrow and also causes furrows on your forehead when you try to look upwards. If this is persisting even after 5 days of trauma then it is a possibility which should be ruled out with a clinical examination. If this is present then you can be treated with electrical physiotherapy to treat the nerve as well as possibly steroids as well.

I can still see some of the swelling below the eybrow so it is possible that teh muscle is swollen in the area and over the next few days as the swelling goes down even further then your movements may return. Infact even if it is mild trauma to the nerve then the movements can return on their own as well.

My advice is to wait for another two days and if that does NOT help and the symptoms persist then contact your doctor and have him do another clinical examination.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.