Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My vision is crossed with both eyes open. If i cover one

Customer Question

My vision is crossed with both eyes open. If i cover one eye, vision is fine. I recently took azithromycin for a sinus infection
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 months ago.

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 months ago.

How old are you?

M/F?

How long has this been going on?

Is your vision blurred?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm a 25 year old male. I have asthma but do not use an inhaler regularly.It is hard to describe, but yes I would say my vision is sort of blurred. The main problem is that everything looks crossed as if I was looking at my nose with both eyes. If i am driving looking down the road, the farther I look, the narrower the road looks.I was very ill about two weeks ago. I had a horrible headache unlike any other headache I've had before. The pain was so intense that I could not eat or sleep. I went to the ER about two days in.They gave me a cat scan and said my brain was normal. The blood test came back without any irregularities. The ER said they can not do much for headaches and sent me on my way. They did recommend seeing a neurologist if the pain got worse.Around five days later, I started to feel better. The headache would not last all day. It would not bother me in the mornings, but the afternoons were excruciating. I went to my PCP in order to get a referral to see a neurologist. My PCP diagnosed me right away with a sinus infection after glancing at my discharge papers from the ER. He wrote me a script for azithromycin and sent me home.The antibiotics helped a lot and the pain was almost gone the next day! After the 5 day cycle, I went back to work and I was pain free.Ever since the pain went away, my vision has been really screwy. It is hard to see with both eyes open, especially while driving. If I cover one eye, I can see fine.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for that additional information.

It sounds like might have a palsy (weakness) of one of your eye muscles. In many cases the muscle involved in the lateral rectus/6th cranial nerve.

This could be secondary to your recent illness.

So. What should you do?

You need to be evaluated by an ophthalmologist (Eye MD) to pinpoint what is going on. Going to an optometrist (OD) or other medical doctor is of no value in getting to the bottom of this issue....

Make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS