Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I am 55 yrs old and was recently diagnosed with PVD in my

Hi my name is***** am 55 yrs old and was recently diagnosed with PVD in my left eye. I am concerned that this will lead to a retinal detachment

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry you were found to have posterior vitreous detachment

the risks for retinal detachment for you is still rare

regular follow up with your eye doctor and routine exams are the best way to monitor and watch your eye.

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How long does it take for the vitreous to detach?

Hello Wendy,

Thank you for the question. I am Dr.A.S.desai, certified ophthalmologist and I look forward to answering this question.

Posterior vitreous detachment (PVD) is one of the most common conditions of the eye after middle age. The thick gel called vitreous begins to liquefy as we grow older. This causes vitreous to separate from its attachment to the retina. Now this induces a traction on the retina resulting in symptom of flashes of light. The extent of vitreous separation and its duration would vary from individual to individual. Sometimes it is a partial separation which goes on to become total later. I some individuals it is a total separation in the beginning itself. Thus it would be very difficult to comment on how long it would take for the vitreous to detach in your case.

Nevertheless it is important to get a dilated fundus exam done by an ophthalmologist so as to verify whether there are tiny holes in the periphery of the retina. It is these tiny holes which can have a tendency to progress into a frank retinal detachment. Hence detecting the peripheral retinal holes early is important. If found they can easily be sealed with the help of lasers also. So I guess nothing to worry in this regard.

Please let me know if you have anything else to ask in this regard.

Do remember to rate this response positively on my name ( Dr.A.S.Desai) if it was informative and satisfactory.

Thank you and regards

Dr.A.S.Desai

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince