Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I am seeing a vertical flash on my left eye when I turn my

head, at the edge of...
I am seeing a vertical flash on my left eye when I turn my head, at the edge of my peripheral vision. It just started last night. I read this is common but could become serious. When will I know it is time to go to ophthalmologist?
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that makes your head feel worse or better?
Customer: Head feels fine, it is just a distracting flash e.g. When I am driving. Started last night, still happening this morning
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I wear glasses, age 54, in past I have had migraines but this is very different than the way I experience migraines
4/25/2017
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

At your age any change in vision or symp***** *****ke flash in the field of vision needs thorough evaluation to rule out any thing serious like retinal detachment. I would recommend to get your eyes examined by opthalmologist to be on safe side.

Hope this helps.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best.

Can I please get a response from an ophthalmologist? I have read different information on this web site written by an ophthalmologist

Ok i opt out so that you can get a response by opthalmologist.

Ok
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist

Thank you for the question. I am Dr.A.S.Desai, board certified ophthalmologist and I look forward to answering your question.

A sudden onset of flash of light in one eye could most likely to be due to posterior vitreous detachment(PVD). It is one of the most common cause of flashes of light and floaters in middle age.

PVD is associated with separation of the thick gel called vitreous from its surrounding retina , resulting in flashes of light. It can days to months for complete detachment to occur. In most of the cases it does not give rise to any further complications except in a small % it can cause peripheral retinal tears. Now this can be confirmed only by a dilated eye exam ( dilated fundus examination) done by an ophthalmologist or optometrist. Once the diagnosis of PVD is confirmed, no further treatment is required ( if the peripheral retina is found to be normal). In case there are peripheral retinal tears then these can be followed up every 6 months or annually or if large they can be sealed with the help of lasers.

I hope this answers your query.

It looks like you are offline at the moment or not available for chat now.

I need to leave the chat room at present. Feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

In case you do find the above answer satisfactory then do remember to rate it positively.( To be rated on my name-Dr.A.S.Desai)

Thank you and best wishes

Dr.A.S.Desai

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist