Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I've had ongoing visual disturbances 24/7 for about 7 years

Hi,I've had ongoing visual disturbances...
Hi,I've had ongoing visual disturbances 24/7 for about 7 years now. Symptoms include multiple ghosting around letters, starbursting, halos large floaters (that get dramatically smaller looking at things up close), streaks of light / light wash back as I blink.The only thing I know that makes the symptoms less is being in a room with more light. When my pupil is smaller I tend to see things sharper; it just masks the symptoms a bit more.I have a slight astigmatism and myopia (-1.25 in each eye). All eye tests to date are normal. Only finding is a pineal cyst in my brain which a Neurologist is monitoring.Went in recently due to seeing flashes when I blinked in my left eye. Retinal specialist dilated me and used the ophthalmoscope (I believe that's what the head gear is called) and that was it. Had the same thing done a year ago for an unrelated issue, no problems. Drove home with Sunglasses on and went to be - dilation takes like 12 hours to wear off for me. I then woke up and went out to dinner with my regular glasses (still a bit dilated) but it was night time.Woke up the next morning and my symptoms - especially ghosting and starbursts were exponentially worse and have stayed that way for 2 months.Do you think we could be dealing with a persistent migraine aura of some kind? Thoughts?5 days after I tried an extract to help me sleep because that has been a challenge as well that contained 5 herbs - like Passion flower etc and St John's Wort (20%) of the extract. I took 20 drops - full dose is 30 drops, 1 time. My understanding is this should not have done anything from doctors I've seen. St John's Wort was the only concern of the herbs due to a report of phototoxicity potential for the active ingredient. Eye tests since this have shown no issues or change.Finally, I tried acupuncture 1 month ago to try and help with the existing and exacerbated symptoms visually. Saw someone with 30 years experience OMD and LAC licensed. There were points around the eyes (including Bladder 1 - which caused a bruise right below that area on my right eye. Spots on head, neck (back of neck) legs, stomach, arms and back were used. I was told they were half inch needles inserted only 1/4 inch or less depending on location- less in the face I was told but can't be totally sure. Person was emphatic they had a lot of experience.Since treatment I haven't felt right. Difficulty sleeping, staying asleep, stiff neck and or headaches after working out, increased light sensitivity, anxiety, double vision at some angles and some extra challenges reading or with quick motion changes.Everyone I've talked to thus far has said acupuncture is usually effective albeit benign and safe treatment. Any thoughts? The acupuncturist was emphatic he didn't hit a nerve and that I would know and that he has 30 years and 5 years of anatomy training.Please feel free to ask questions. I realize that was a lengthy read. Thank you.-Jeff
Answered in 1 day by:
4/24/2017
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Jeff,

This is not a migraine issue....

And I am not surprised that the acupuncture did not work.

So. What might be the next step for you?

At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned the top rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Phone call session started
I think you called and I was unavailable. I think we are good on the answer you provided. No need for the call. Not sure if that service is refundable but I appreciate your calling.

I am on call and it is crazybusy :(

There should be no phone call charge on your account.

Have a good day.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD