Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Went to the emergency room 5 days ago with floaters and

Customer Question
flashing light. Still have floaters...
Went to the emergency room 5 days ago with floaters and flashing light. Still have floaters and some flashes, which I guess is to be expected, but now have a watery eye as well. Was told to go to the emergency room if symptoms changes. Is a watery eye a sign that I should do something?
JA: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?
Customer: Vision checked in emergency room 5 days ago. Have a follow up appointment in a week. Said there might be a small tear but couldn't tell for sure.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: don't think so
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Eye
4/21/2017
Eye Doctor: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.
You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.
In such cases it is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventive treatment of any lesions that are found.( as your doctor hinted at a tear)

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case. As such mere watery eyes are not a symptom specifically related to retinal tear though.

Hope it helped.

Please click 5 stars visible on your screen for a positive rating for my work.

Feel free to ask any more queries

Thank you. I was in the emergency room for this 5 days ago - and was told it should abate in a few days. Floaters are still there and have had more flashing for two periods. Is this OK? ER doc said there might be a tear but it was so small he couldn't be sure. I have an appointment 10 days from now. Is it OK to wait? Are these continuing symptoms pretty normal?

If you think the symptoms are worsening and you have been seeing flashes that were not there before then i would recommend you to visit your doctor at the earliest.

I hope it was helpful.

Please remember to click 5 stars on your screen for a positive rating to my work.

Hope everything works out best for you.

Kind regards

Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor