Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I got recently a new prescription for my glasses, so I was

wondering why my vision gets...
I got recently a new prescription for my glasses, so I was wondering why my vision gets blurry and my eyes heavy when I work at computer more than half an hour, and while this varies throughout the day, it feels like it's chronic and doesn't completely go away after a night sleep.I used to be able to have a sharp vision while using PC for hours at a time, and I did make a mistake by not having more frequent brakes. But now even a break every 30 minutes doesn't help my vision acuity. And it's not a new think either. I remember as a kid I was reading something for too long and this thing would happen and stay for a period of time when my vision would deteriorate.I don't have glaucoma or anything serious per my yearly vision checks. But I don't wear my glasses constantly, and often try reading without them - especially at the bedtime - could this strain my eye muscle and lead to blurry vision even when I put my glasses on?
4/2/2017
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

It sounds like you are suffering from an anterior segment/tear film issue. Many times, for all sorts of reasons, the anterior surface of the eye starts to have difficulties. What can cause this? Well, there are a number of conditions but the most common are dry eyes, allergies and blepharitis....many times all three conditions act together to make you miserable. In order to solve your problem you need to address all of these issues at the same time.

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production and the use of a medication called restasis to improve your tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose. If this does not give relief then your eyelid opening can be made smaller with surgery (lateral Tarsorrhaphy).

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition is daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

I understand that this treatment seems a bit "too low tech" to be of value, but after 2 decades of clinical practice, I can assure you (even from personal experience :) that it does, indeed, work.

You might also be just on the edge of needing reading glasses to work on the computer due to presbyopia.

Does this make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
I have been tested by an allergist and tested negative to all the common allergens. Are allergies the only cause of it?

No, there are other possible causes but I would be that tear film problems (perhaps not secondary to allergies) or a need for a mild "computer" glasses are the most likely issue.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD