Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have had a terrible several weeks and a second refraction

done last week. I finally...
I have had a terrible several weeks and a second refraction done last week. I finally got a answer. The problem is BLEPHARITIS. I am taking medication.NEO/POLY/DEX OPHTH SUSP 5MG--ONE DROP IN AFFECTED EYES EVERY 3 TO 4 HOURS. My question is what do I do in the night and is this eye drug an antibiotic and how dangerous is it. I had been given this about 3 week ago along with outer eye stuff that made my eyes sticky and with no difference. My doctor was not there several days ago so another doctor after looking at it said it was blepharitis and gave me a one week supply of the same drug and told me to come back next week. Also, I missed one dose for about an hour. Will this in any way affect my cure. Also is there a simple way to get this in the eye correctly and can I start at any time in the morning since I get up at different hours?
3/30/2017
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Let me go over all your questions in order:

Yes. That is an antibiotic mixed with a steroid.

It is really pretty safe.....you really don't need to worry about it at all.

Missing one dose for an hour will not cause any problems at all. Do not worry.

Yes. You can start when you get up....no need to use it at the same exact time on the clock.

There is also a home therapy you can do:

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition is daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Does this make sense to you?

it makes sense. What about not taking it at night.
I also was given Sterilid eyelid Cleanser from one of the nurses. It says on the package "a convenient and effective way to cleanse the eyelids and eyelashes", i'm sure it was a sample or should I just follow your instructions?
You have answered the night question. Sorry for that.

You do not have to take it at night, just every 4 hours while awake.

I like using baby shampoo and fingers.....works a lot better than those eyelid cleanser towels and your fingers are recyclable ;)

Make sense?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

what happens if I only got part of the medicine in one eye. Should I wait or should I put another drop in

You can put in a second drop.

Did I ever discuss with you the excellent feedback button and the joy you can expect to obtain by mashing it, as well as the immense benefits that leaving a bonus can give you? Try it. You'll like it.

Go ahead. Don't be afraid. Give it a push....

.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD