Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

My daughter is fit & healthy. Born with left lazy eye that…

My daughter is fit...

My daughter is fit & healthy. Born with left lazy eye that in adulthood really only can tell now when really tired. Her prescription has changed 5 times in 6 months thus was referred. She had an ultrasound today which showed nothing abnormal. Now has to wait for dr to refer for MRI. We are going in overload now worried - thinking tumour. No other symptoms - no headaches/nausea/fitting/dizziness. Only other thing is had only 2 menstrual cycles in 6 months . Put that down to extreme fitness/bikini fitness programme. My thoughts pituitary adenoma. Obviously something has caused this rapid change - advice please???

Doctor's Assistant: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?

My daughter - 5 prescription changes in one eye in 6 months

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

3/14/2017
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Can you upload her prescription changes?

Does her vision return to 20/20 (or her baseline) with the new glasses Rx each time?

Does she have any other symptoms?

How old is she?

Has she had a visual field done?

Has she been being evaluated by an ophthalmologist (Eye MD)?

Does your daughter have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Beth (my daughter) said
My preScription is normal in my right eye. Left eye started at -1.25 in 2010. Has deteriorated to -4.25 .. six months ago I was -3.50. Now -4.25Dunno about 20/20 vision ... cause I do get double vision and I do get hesd aches, nausea and dizziness ...
I've seen an ophthalmologist who has said I have a tilted optic disc ... and keratoconous(Ultrasound showed nothing)
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can no longer tolerate glasses or contacts due to double vision with extreme difference in preScription between both eyes
I'm on roacutane and melanotan 2
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All information added as requested above - she's 25. I am in Australia so realise time difference but crazy to ask for rating when haven't been completed yet?? Was asked to reply again?? Beth (my daughter) gave me below info
I've seen an ophthalmologist who has said I have a tilted optic disc ... and keratoconous
Ultrasound of eye didn't show anything
I'm on roacutane and melanotan 2

Thank you for that additional information.

I would not rush to think that she has a tumor.

But -- I agree -- she could use a better workup. The first place I would start is to have a corneal special specialist examine her.

If she has keratoconus that would easily explain her eyeglass prescription, double vision and maybe her nausea and dizziness secondary to her visual issues.

If keratoconus then special contact lenses (soper lenses) and collagen cross linking of her cornea might help.

I'm don't think anything is going to show up on the MRI.....

Make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Say Hi to the Southern Cross for me. I hope to get to your side of the planet someday soon.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks Dr Rick!
Beth said she will get a referral to Corneal specialist. Only other thing is they want to try n find why there is a tilt to the optic nerve.
Kind regards Bronwyn

Bronwyn,

The tilted optic nerve is most likely secondary to her myopia.

This is very common and is not anything to worry about.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD