Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I have developed dry eyes/blepharitis and retinal hole

HelloI have developed dry eyes/blepharitis...
HelloI have developed dry eyes/blepharitis and retinal hole (fully-operculated). This was all checked out by ophthalmologist and retinal specialist and treated accordingly.I have a question specific to the causes of this. Now, this has all kind of started together. First I got the dry eye/belpharitis plus floaters and then more floaters and flashes and then this retinal hole. I also have visual snow. Can you please tell me if this could have been somehow triggered by something?Can it be mold?Can it be yeast infection - I have dandruff caused by fungus in my hair.Can it be maybe something from cats? or cats that have not been immunised? Toxoplasmosis?...Also, I started having the dry eye and floaters when I was abroad at school - and this lady there got acute glaucoma at that time. Could it be related to me somehow? Like there was some kind of infection in the air and we both got affected by it? I did not have infection (that I know) when I was there, but I got the dry eye/floaters. I had examination in my eye back then and they checked my eye but did not make me aware of infection - just dry eye (but I don't fully rely on their findings).I would not asked these questions to my doctor - they would just think I am crazy - that;s why I am asking here.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/2/2017
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I also have vitamin d deficiency and one more thing - can wearing lower than fully corrected prescription affect the retina? and is it allowed to wear lower prescription for computer work?

You are not crazy! You would be very surprised at the questions that get asked over the course of the day :)

Let me go over your questions in order:

1. Mold, either in the environment or on your person, can not contribute to a retinal hole.

2. No. Yeast/dandruff will not affect the inside of your eye.

3. Nope. Cats did not cause this, even if they have not been vaccinated. Toxoplasmosis infection/scars would have been immediately seen by your ophthalmologist and retina surgeon. No worries here. (Stop talking to the Evil Dr. Google lol!)

4. Acute glaucoma is not infectious. Once again it would not cause retinal holes and the glaucoma would have been found during your eye exam.

5. Infections blowing around in the air did not cause the retinal hole nor did it cause, or contribute, to your floaters/posterior vitreous detachment.

6. Dry eye did not cause your retinal tear.

7 Vitamin D deficiency had nothing to do with this.

8. Glasses, correct or not, will not contribute to this.

9. You can wear anything you want to work on the computer without impacting your retina.

So. What is the take home message?

Retinal holes happen. In my practice I see them every day. You did nothing to cause it nor did your living environment or anything else cause it.

And it sounds like you have gotten excellent care.
So. What should you do?

1. Relax.

2. Mash the excellent feedback button.

3. Have a good weekend :)

Make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you.so did the retinal hole started as a vitreous detachment? could it have been somehow prevented? other than the laser?is it better that is detached spontaneously rather than it being sealed backed by a laser when it was at that stage (about to detach)? for how long was it forming?thanks again.

Most likely, yes.

And there is nothing you could have done -- or not done -- to prevent the hole from happening. As they say "stuff happens"

The laser does not reattach the vitreous. That just stays were it is. The laser only welds back the torn retina.

It is hard to tell how long traction was there forming the hole. Not an issue in any event....