Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I have a specific question - i just saw an ophthalmologist,

I have a specific...

I have a specific question - i just saw an ophthalmologist

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a fully-operculate retinal hole. I was told that it's better not to have it treated with laser. What is the chance of this happening again?
3/2/2017
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

I am a retina specialist.

How old are you?

M/F?

How did the hole form?

Was it from trauma, in an area of peripheral lattice degeneration, etc?

Where is this hole located?

Did they say if the hole was full thickness?

What kind of doctor told you it does not need laser?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How old are you? 25M/F? femaleHow did the hole form? - I don't know, they said it was because I was short sighted. but they don't know why exactly it happens. I remember that i started developing floaters at around the same time as dry eye started. I had an exam in late December 2016/jan 2017 - this was also by retinal specialist (different one) and he did not mention hole - but he did not dilate my eyes i think.
this is what he said: (other than about dry eye):
Fortunately, she did not have any punctate staining of the cornea. Her intraocular pressures were normal. The remainder of anterior segment examination was normal. Fundus examination revealed tilted discs in both eyes with peripapillary atrophy. The right disc did look slightly swollen; however, she has spontaneous venous pulsation and her optic disc OCT was normal.
Was it from trauma, in an area of peripheral lattice degeneration, etc? No trauma that I know of.Where is this hole located? I remember them saying that it was peripheral or something like that. That it was in the back of the eye.Did they say if the hole was full thickness? Not sure what this means. I could confirm - is it important? fully-operculated retinal hole is what I remember but they did not write it down fully for meWhat kind of doctor told you it does not need laser? Emergency - I think he was retinal specialist.Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications? yes, dry eye; myopia and I take omega vitamins, vitamin d and eye multivitamin.

Thank you for that additional information.

In the report your posted they do not mention a retinal hole.

The good news? If there was a hole that need treatment, laser or otherwise, a retina specialist would have jumped right on it. Us retina doc's do pass on treating retinal issues when we find 'em ;)

So. What is the take home message?

From what you have posted I do not believe that you have anything to worry about. Also there is no need to worry about a new hole forming.

I would suggest you follow up with an ophthalmologist (Eye MD) for a complete dilated eye exam at least yearly and sooner if you should notice any flashes of light, new floaters etc.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this report was from back in December; the retinal hole was examined just now.thank you, ***** ***** your explanation.