Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have experienced the ocular migraine symptom once every

three or four month since...
I have experienced the ocular migraine symptom once every three or four month since college and I'm 56 now. I now in the last month have been experiencing something else I just my right eye. It's similar - like a circle that is colored and transparant etc with tiny dots - it affects my ability to read and work on the computer. But no headache come after it appears like the other vision issue I'm familiar with.
2/27/2017
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Does this circle interfere with your reading and working on the computer when you have both eyes open?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

I do not take anything other than ibuprofen for my sciatica. It interferes some with computer work and that is only time I've sensed it coming up. I thought it was both eyes but when I close each at a se-arate time it's really only right eye
I'll probably go see an eye doctor. My wife is very worried. I just told her about it now.
It's similar to if you liook at a bright light then look away. But I haven't looked at anything other than my iPad screen.
I've only been reading on it about an hour

I am a retina specialist.

If you try to read/use the computer with your right eye only right now, are you still experiencing this?

So. It has been going on for 30 minutes.....

Try reading with both eyes and right only and let me know what happens

Much more difficult with right eye only, but not impossible
It's somewhat transparent - the distortion- but grainy and colored a bit
It is circular -perfectly round- but some variation to the distortion quality
HARD TO EXPLAIN.
Ah ~ I just figured out it seems to correspond to the exact size of the circle on the iPad, the button on the bottom

Weird. The IPad button should not be bright enough to cause this sort of vision problem.

If it goes away in the next hour or less then this is most likely just a variation of your migraine aura...

I, too, have been personally suffering from ocular migraines for almost 30 years. I almost never got the headaches after the visual effects.

There was one time, I was in the middle of a very delicate retina operation, when an attack started. After a few moments I lost most of my central vision and the inferior part of my visual field. I, calmly, removed my surgical instruments from the patients eye and we all sat around in the OR for 15 minutes until my vision returned. Other than that my ocular migraines have not really caused me any significant problems :o)

Does this make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
mine last 15 minutes or so but are followed by a pretty annoying headache that can last 12 hours or more unless I take excedrin. Which knocks it out.

Caffeine works for me if I can get it within 20 minute of my aura starting.......but, now as I am getting older, the headaches are rare.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD