Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

My brother (24) went to an ophthalmologist last weekend

Hello, my brother (24)...

Hello, my brother (24) went to an ophthalmologist last weekend because of a stye (or maybe it's a chalazion?) on his upper eyelid that doesn't want to go away. He was prescribed some kind of antibiotic eyedrops but it's been a week and it doesn't seem to be doing anything. After a few days he realized that he was not taking the drops correctly. After a couple days of doing it right it almost seemed to get smaller but now it's normal sized again. My brother is VERY stubborn unfortunately and I want to tell him to please call his doc tomorrow that it's not working. I am wondering though for my own knowledge, what do you feel is the most likely next steps? Another prescription (perhaps ointment this time?) or should he do the compresses more often?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is your eyelid swollen at all?

It has been almost 3 weeks. It looks like a pea was cut in half and is under his upper eye lid. He had something similar in the opposite eye on a lower eyelid but it went away after compresses but that one took almost a month. He says there is no pain at all, so I assume that's a good sign.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He works too jobs so I wonder if stress is part of it. One full time and one part time. The part time job is retail so I wonder if handling money all day means tons of germs.

2/6/2017
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (non-eye specialty)

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

No pain is a good sign; first there is no complications like infection and second, it may be resolving. Usually the next step is a small minor procedure which is done in office (for both stye and chalazion). Ideally he should see his doctor to confirm that it can be still be treated by continuation of warm compresses and local eye drops.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

I am sorry, part of the answer was posted wrongly here due to technical issue.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you, ***** ***** I was confused about the answer regarding a penis issue, but I thank you for clearing it up. I hope whoever that was intended for gets taken care of because I could not imagine having an issue in that region! :)I will tell my brother to confirm with the doctor if he should continue using the antibiotic eyedrops. He may ask another doctor for a second opinion who has an office closer to his house, but I hope just compresses and time will take care of it. My biggest concern (being the older brother) is of any potential worsening infections.

You are very welcome.

I really appreciate your concern for the younger brother.

With no pain, complications are unlikely. And this may be healing, though slowly. But as you mentioned, it is good to be seen for confirmation and precaution.

I apologize again for the part of the post.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not a problem, have a great evening!

Thank you. Have a great evening.