Eye

What does Optic Neuritis feel like? I've had a soreness in…

What does Optic Neuritis feel...
What does Optic Neuritis feel like? I've had a soreness in my left eye (and also barely my right) when moving my eyes to look to the very far left or right (or up or down). It feels like it's strained when I do that and causes a dull ache.I also notice this if I gently press on the top of my... Read full answer
What does Optic Neuritis feel like? I've had a soreness in my left eye (and also barely my right) when moving my eyes to look to the very far left or right (or up or down). It feels like it's strained when I do that and causes a dull ache.I also notice this if I gently press on the top of my eye (with my eyelid closed of course) it causes this dull ache. Would that happen with Optic neuritis? My vision is fine (although obviously a bit blurry for a second or two after pressing on my eye or looking hard one way or the other since it sorta strains it for a second).I guess im just worried it's Optic Neuritis since it's a precursor to MS. The only lifestyle change i've had is I started an exercise regimen the past 2-3 weeks and have sorta over-worked myself..but I doubt that has anything to do with this though?Thanks!
I also feel the soreness slightly if I focus my eyes really hard on something (like a computer screen). It's not super painful just some soreness. (feels like a pressure behind them). I have no other symptoms.The soreness is def. much worse on my left eye, but I can feel it slightly in the right too.
1/14/2017
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

This is not typical of optic neuritis.

It does not cause pain in the eyeballs.

Eye strain can give these symptoms.

Glaucoma

Eye infection

Not optic neuritis.

You need an eye exam.

Please click a positive rating on the rating scale [we are paid on the basis of positive ratings] and be sure to let me know if you have not finished with any questions.

what does Optic Neuritis pain feel like or cause pain in if it's not your eyeball? Thats what the symptoms i've read show. I guess how exactly is it not typical?Also I don't know if it matters but this seemed to come on over a day or so. I do feel some slight "ache" on my temples so perhaps it is eyestrain.

It typically does not cause pain in many cases, but can.

This sounds more like eyestrain.

In any case, diagnosis only comes from examination.

Ah, I guess im confused just cause everything I saw said "Pain with eye movement" or is the vision loss usually a greater indicator. (thats really my last question).

See my last post

It does not often cause pain, but can.

With eye movement yes, but that would be rare compared to the other causes I have mentioned.

And you do not have other symptoms of MS, which would typically appear first.

DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Awesome thanks! I guess I shouldn't be worried. Im a Software dev so im in front of the computer a lot so im sure it's eyestrain. Im making an appointment to get contacts instead of glasses so ill make sure to follow up.Thanks

Yes

Get away from the computer more.

You are welcome...and...

Thanks

I am a double board certified doctor.

Find me by request for fast, accurate, safe, and comprehensive answers that included multiple areas of medicine and complementary medicine.

Use my request lock as needed.

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drrussmd/?rpt=3800

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Three years ago I had two separate occasions of sharp eye
Hello. Three years ago I had two separate occasions of sharp eye pain upon eye movement in two different eyes; no loss of vision. I went to see an ophthalmologist both times, each time they couldn't f… read more
Dr. Gerry
Dr. Gerry
Medical Officer IV,
Doctor of Medicine
I've had blurry eyes for a month now. Now there is some pain
Second opinion] I've had blurry eyes for a month now. Now there is some pain too. I don't want to move my eyes or read signs. I have a hard time going from something right in front of me to something … read more
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta
MD, CEO,
Looking for another opinion... For some time now I've had a
Looking for another opinion... For some time now I've had a sensation in my eyes, especially the left one, like there is a film over them. It creates a glare and somewhat blurry or snowy vision. Somet… read more
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Board certified general ophthalmologist,
Stop searching for answers—
The entire top half of my left eye is incredibly sore to the
The entire top half of my left eye is incredibly sore to the touch and feels almost bruised. There is a very slight dull ache at the top and slightly behind both eyes but more in the left even when I … read more
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Ophthalmologist & Retina Specialist,
I have an undiagnosed visual issue. For the past 3-4 years,
I have an undiagnosed visual issue. For the past 3-4 years, my vision gets darkened and distorted when doing anything that requires high cardiac output such as physical exertion like cardio. Sometimes… read more
Board Certified Physician,
Trying to decide if I'm having another optic neuritis or is
Trying to decide if I'm having another optic neuritis or is it optic migraine...started Friday when I was watching TV and saw it went red and wavy...Sunday started with double vision. Light hurts my e… read more
eyemd45
eyemd45
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have a physician that is dxing me with ocular migraines. I
I have a physician that is dxing me with ocular migraines. I don't think this is correct... IIH is r/o... I do have mild chiari's, optic neuritis, history of a pit tumor that is now empty sella, sligh… read more
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron
My wife has severe pain in behind her left eye, this pain
my wife has severe pain in behind her left eye, this pain has been going on for the last 3 days. Today she saw an opthamologist and while she was there he pressed on the left eye and now she has lost … read more
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Board Certified Ophthalmologist,
I had an undereye twitch a few weeks ago in my left eye.. I
I had an undereye twitch a few weeks ago in my left eye.. I had no pain or trouble with vision. I went to an opthamologist who did a full exam and said it seemed like dry eye.He said I had perfect vis… read more
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
I have had optic neuritis in my left eye which has left it a
I have had optic neuritis in my left eye which has left it a little bit bloodshot, along with blurred vision. My right eye has now become bloodshot in the inner and outer corners and is very painful, … read more
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
I was diagnosed withh optic neuritis in my left eye at the
I was diagnosed withh optic neuritis in my left eye at the end of April. I now have part of both eyes that are bloodshot and sore. Was diagnosed with dry eye but been putting dry eye drops in for two … read more
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
My husband had ocular neuritis in his right eye last August
my husband had ocular neuritis in his right eye last August and his vision has been permanently impaired in that eye. Recently, he started experiencing blurred vision in his left eye. There is no dama… read more
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Ophthalmologist & Retina Specialist,
Stop searching for answers—
I Started having dull eye pain in both eyes, but mostly in
I Started having dull eye pain in both eyes, but mostly in my right eye that is constant. Sun light makes it worse and more sensitive. It hurts when I move my eye in certain positions. I went to the o… read more
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Ophthalmologist & Retina Specialist,
A year ago vision in my right eye became blurry, it happened
A year ago vision in my right eye became blurry, it happened overnight or possibly over the course of a couple days. Was referred to neurologist who suspected optic neuritis and ordered a brain mri wi… read more
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Ophthalmologist & Retina Specialist,
If the optic nerve has been swollen but after multiple
If the optic nerve has been swollen but after multiple test's no diagnoses was found can the receptors die, and if so can they regenerate themselves. Also if the eye still has interference and snowy e… read more
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Board Certified Ophthalmologist,
Dear Dr 5 years ago I went totally blind in my left eye and
Dear Dr 5 years ago I went totally blind in my left eye and 75% loss of vision in my right eye. The field vision showed the left eye print out to be totally black and the right eye to have 70% black p… read more
Dr. James
Dr. James
I have been suffering from optic neuritis since end of july
I have been suffering from optic neuritis since end of july - caused by antibiotics - left eye effected but no visual issues - right eye lots of blurring side vision reduced - also I have a mechanical… read more
Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz
MS, Fellowship Trained
My doc said i have swelling behind my left eye around the
My doc said i have swelling behind my left eye around the nerve. For the past 2 months my perripheral vision has been blurry. And I've been seeing bright spots when lighting changes that disappear. Al… read more
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens
Ophthalmologist,