Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I have a lazy eye, astigmatism, near sightedness, blurry…

I have a lazy...

I have a lazy eye, astigmatism, near sightedness, blurry vision that sometimes gets better with rubbing and blinking, light sensitivity, and have had a 10 degree change in axis in one eye since last year. The new glasses I was prescribed are not clear at all. I was just researching different blurry vision causes that get better with blinking

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Have you been having any headaches?

Headaches at least 2 times a week. The blurry vision and light sensitivity have been going on for over a year. I have used several types of eye drops prescribed by my dr but they didn't really work well enough to continue use

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Other than an abnormal heart rate and rhythm no... I did start wearing glasses at age 18 months old and used patch therapy and "pencil pushups" for my lazy eye until the age of 5.

1/12/2017
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

How long ago did you start wearing the new glasses?

How old are you?

M/F?

What drops have you used?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I picked up the new glasses on Tuesday. I am a 30 year old female. I realized when looking at my prescription I am actually farsighted. Left eye +4 -1.25 050. Right eye +4 -1.25 110. I have presbyopia and use bifocals. I don't remember the name of the first 2 drops but I remember the last one, pazeo. I do not have any other health problems. I take diltizem and have a Mirena IUD.

Thank you for that additional information.

Pazeo is used for allergic issues with the conjunctiva.

Concerning the change in the axis of your astigmatism, that is nothing to worry about -- it happens ;)

Also, you need to give your new glasses at least 3 weeks of full time wear before giving up on them, especially with the axis change.

So. What could be going on with your eyes?

It sounds like you are suffering from an anterior segment/tear film issue. Many times, for all sorts of reasons, the anterior surface of the eye starts to have difficulties. What can cause this? Well, there are a number of conditions but the most common are dry eyes, allergies and blepharitis....many times all three conditions act together to make you miserable. In order to solve your problem you need to address all of these issues at the same time.

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production and the use of a medication called restasis to improve your tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose. If this does not give relief then your eyelid opening can be made smaller with surgery (lateral Tarsorrhaphy).

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition is daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

I understand that this treatment seems a bit "too low tech" to be of value, but after 2 decades of clinical practice, I can assure you (even from personal experience :) that it does, indeed, work.

Does this make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD