Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

For over 4 years I've been suffering from extremely dry skin

Customer Question

Hello, for over 4 years I've been suffering from extremely dry skin along with redness around the mouth, nose, eyebrow area, and under the eyes. This problem also affects my lips because they're constantly cracking and drying up. I first developed the problem a week after being put on the antibiotic Augmentin which I stopped immediately when my skin started drying up severely and cracking. I was also developing rashy acne like bumps around my mouth. This rashy look was also affecting my nose, under the eyes, and eyebrow area. I went to my regular doctor and he said it was Perioral Dermatitis and gave me 6 weeks of doxycycline and Metronidazole cream and it took away all the acne like bumps and brought down some of the redness and dryness but not entirely. My skin was still very dry and the red was still noticeable.
He extended the course of treatment for 6 more weeks which didn't make any difference unfortunately. I was referred to a dermatologist and lets just say this wasn't the only derm I went to. I tried 4 others who have gave me practically everything to try and treat this problem with no success in getting rid of it. I became hopeless and depressed and decided it is what it is. 54 months later and the condition has come a long way with improvement. The redness is mild but the dryness is still a HUGE problem. Every time I dry up after the shower my lips and skin become dry, flaky, and cracked. Moisturizer usually irritates the redness and makes it flare so I avoid it. I try using Aquaphor for my lips but it hardly helps. I know some of you might think it's Rosacea but I look nothing like a Rosacea patient. My cheek and cheek bone area aren't affected. Neither is my forehead. Here's the list of treatment I was given through out the years with no success but mild improvement.
Low dose Accutane
Doxycycline
Dapsone
Bactrim
Elidel
Ketoconazole cream
1 week of Prednisone
Metronidazole cream
Bactroban ointment
Aczone gel
Prescription strength Permethrin cream
Fluconazole pills
Topical Steroids (made the red flare up and burn)
Category: Eye
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

yes, topical steroid creams are a no no for perioral dermatitis and can make it worse.

you should see a rheumatologist

and get a lip and oral mucosa biopsy to check for sjorgren's syndrome which is an autoimmune disorder which can cause severe dry mouth and nose and eyes and could be part of the problem.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't really have any symptoms associated with that syndrome though.

you don't have dry mouth or dry eyes?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No dry mouth. The inside of my eyes aren't dry but under them get dry. Like the area where you can form bags or dark circles

I see.

this does sound like perioral dermatitis.

it can be a tough condition to treat.

it is rare, you may benefit from seeing a dermatologist at a larger academic medical center where they see rare cases more often.