Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I have had a lazy eye all my life.. I had surgery when I was…

I have had a lazy...
I have had a lazy eye all my life.. I had surgery when I was 11 years old for lazy eye. It was successful. I am 59 years old and now my eyes seem to switch from left eye to right eye while I'm driving . A car passing me on the left appears to come over the line towards my car. I have progressive lenses which I got this past summer. What is happening to my vision?
Answered in 1 day by:
12/26/2016
Dr Bonnie Nickel

Hello I am a specialist in strabismus so I would be glad to answer your question but I need more information. How long have you been using progressive lenses? When was your last eye exam ? do you have any medical conditions like high blood pressure, diabetes ?

Hello It is Dr. Nickel and I have had time to think about your case. I understand you have been wearing your new glasses since this summer and I assume you had a complete eye exam at that time which included a visual field, which was normal. If my assumptions are correct, then it sounds like the glasses have switched your ocular dominance so now the distance acuity is better in the right eye, whereas before it was better in the in the left. Because you do not have binocularity, meaning your two eyes do not fuse giving you normal depth perception, when you look in the distance with the right eye, your nose blocks the left field from view. I suggest you return to the doctor and have the prescription changed so your ocular dominance returns to the left so you can perceive the left visual field while driving. Obviously for safety reasons you need to detect moving cars in your left field. My best to you.

Dr Bonnie Nickel
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
looking to give you 5 stars Wont light up to send