Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I woke up this morning with a small spot on the color of my

Customer Question
I woke up this morning...
I woke up this morning with a small white spot on the color of my eye. It feels a little scratchy.
JA: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?
Customer: A few months ago
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Just got a pair of progressive glasses, I do not wear contacts
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Eye
12/18/2016
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 11 months ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

How old are you?

m/f?

Do you wear contacts?

Is your vision affected?

Can you upload a picture?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

50 year old female. I do not wear contact lenses. I do wear glasses. I recently got a pair of progressive lenses. My vision is not effected, but as I mentioned my eye feels scratchy.
I do take thyroid which I have taken for many years and Lipitor.

Thank you for that additional information and picture.

I was able to enlarge your picture and get a good view of the white spot.

That is a corneal infection, also called a corneal ulcer.

So. What should you do?

1. Left alone there is a very, very good chance this will get worse -- perhaps much worse. And this can happen over the course of hours, depending on the causative agent.

2. The good news? At this stage antibiotic drops should be able to easily cure it with no permanent damage to your eye or vision.

3. You need antibiotic eye drops ASAP. Since this is Sunday, unfortunately, that means a trip to the ER. :(

Do not delay getting antibiotic drops.....

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD