Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Are these a scam? -: I read an articile on CNN that was

Customer Question
Are these a scam? -...
Are these a scam? - : http://www.pixeleyewear.com/shop/ventus?gclid=CLKD2LCCxdACFdRMDQodymsKrQ
I read an articile on CNN that was advertising blue light- blocking glasses. Are these necessary? Also, possibly unrelated, the vision in my left eye is significantly less clear. I seem to be near-sighted in this eye and I don't remember being that way in the past, even the recent past, like a year ago. I recently realized this when I went to see a 3D movie and it gave me a headache, which led me to read an article about disparities in vision between both eyes being a cause. Then, I closed each eye separately and noticed the difference.
I guess I'm attributing this left eye issue with my near continuous computer and TV screen usage? Is there any validity to this connection? Also, are those glasses in the link above necessary?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Eye
11/25/2016
Eye Doctor: Dr. Captain, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
Dr. Captain
Dr. Captain, Board Certified Physician

Hello!

Welcome to the JustAnswer.com question/answer interface.

I am a Family Medicine doctor, board certified with active licenses and certification in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Integrative Medicine & Naturopathy, with advanced training in Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-trained in Functional Medicine. For your review, here is my direct link with my current ratings: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/

I have read your post and observations about these various lenses... Would you prefer a summary answer to your question, or would you prefer more back-and-forth, where there will be a series of more questions and more details clarified? There is no difference in charges for your preference. You can continue to ask questions and receive answers without additional charges.

Either way, the goal is for your satisfaction, and I’ll do my best to take the appropriate time to help you.

To address your specific question first, The ventus glasses are certainly not necessary. There may be some use to them, but my strong hunch is that the effect they have derives from their polarization. This is not a unique feature of these lenses.

The recent fascination with blue-light and red-light has come up often, with the advent of the popularity of cell phones and people, perhaps like yourself, who spend a lot of time in front of screens. There is not yet enough research to support some of the wild fads of lenses, like the Ventus, or various apps that change lighting of images.

this is not to say that they are all complete hogwash. Our eyes are made up of receptors which are able to signal when they receive certain wavelengths of light. It seems reasonable to suggest, then, that these cones, as they're called, could become fatigued or irritated, and could cause headache or vision changes, albeit on a subtle scale.

Again, these concerns are all theoretical, at this point, without reproducible data that consistently shows X leads to Y. It is certainly possible that there are damaging effects of too much screen time. We know this to be true, but we are not at a stage of knowledge where we can say that "too much blue light" or "red light" is a problem, and then, as a solution, a pair of lenses would fix that.

have you tried wearing polarized lenses from time to time? Have you thought about having your eyes retested?

Was I able to address your question to your satisfaction? Can I clarify, or address any other related questions for you today?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your previous answers.I have tried wearing polarized lenses for outdoors and beyond the extra comfort I feel from not having to experience direct sunlight on my eyes, I don't have an immediate preference among the various shades of polarization in my sunglasses collection. I like being able to see more clearly obviously, so the lighter shades of polarization I prefer. Also, being able to see more clearly through the ocean water while at the beach, for instance with blue polarized lenses, does have its advantages. Are there any other reasons I should prefer one polarization over another beyond personal comfort?Also, I probably should get my eyes tested again. This may sound like a silly question, but I have very little knowledge of optometry. If I'm found to have imperfect vision in my left eye, for instance, is there any hope that my vision can be corrected without surgery or corrective lenses/contacts?

There are no specific reasons to prefer one type of polarization over another. There are certainly differences in lens quality as far as production goes, and there are some additive layers that lensmakers can add to help protect against various UV radiation. Those are not simply for show, and do help protect the eye. Regarding your 2nd follow up question, it is very unlikely that the eye will self-correct without surgery or lenses. There are myths that wearing glasses makes the eyes weaker (not true at all,) but it's nearly impossible for eyes to self-correct once they become imperfect.

If you would, please click on EXCELLENT with 5 stars. My goal is to have only the best, ***** ***** patients, and believe it or not, we doctors don't get compensated at all if the responses are not rated with outstanding scores by our patients like you. Any other ratings suggest something was wrong and the doctor has not tried to offer you a chance for improvements.

If you have any follow up questions, I hope you’ll please save my direct link: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/

Thank you! Hopefully, I would love to hear how things go for you.

Dr. Captain
Dr. Captain
Dr. Captain, Board Certified Physician