Eye

I was poked in the eye with a very small diameter twig or…

I was poked in the...
I was poked in the eye with a very small diameter twig or branch, and there is a spot where it has been bleeding. It felt like the branch went into my eye, not near the cornea but in the outside corner of the eye. Is this something that should be seen immediately, or can it wait until regular office hours?... Read full answer
I was poked in the eye with a very small diameter twig or branch, and there is a spot where it has been bleeding. It felt like the branch went into my eye, not near the cornea but in the outside corner of the eye. Is this something that should be seen immediately, or can it wait until regular office hours?
11/22/2016
Dr. Scott, Doctor

Hi there, are you having a lot of pain or discomfort? Does the light make your pain worse? Are you having headaches?

I generally recommend all of my patients with eye complaints to go to the ER. It sounds like you may have a corneal abrasion which is often used to refer to any defect in the corneal surface. The treatment is antibiotics to prevent the eye from becoming infected. In addition, it sounds like you may have had a penetrating trauma which is almost always a surgical emergency to save the vision. Also, blood in the eye can result in permeant vision loss. Unfortunately, it is very complex and usually an emergency as a small difference and penetration versus a corneal abrasion could change your vision for the rest of your life.

Dr. Scott, Doctor
The pain isn't severe, but it is getting worse especially when I blink. My wife has looked at it and thinks there may be a small hole or tear which is bleeding slightly. Yes, I do have a mild headache. We are getting ready to go to the emergency room. Thank you for your prompt response!
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I would like to know which doctor is assisting tonight!
I would like to know which doctor is assisting tonight! … read more
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Board certified general ophthalmologist,
I saw a retina specialist( exam was normal) but since the
Hi, I saw a retina specialist( exam was normal) but since the exam I have pain in my eye, as if a shard is stuck in it. I have had 2 exams since by other Drs. in that practice. They examined it closel… read more
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Tonight I poked myself in the eye with my hair (I had a
Tonight I poked myself in the eye with my hair (I had a small section in my fingers and was twirling it and the ends went right into my eye). It hurt quite a bit at the time and has since felt sore. I… read more
Stop searching for answers—
My son poked his eye with a toy and i put ice on it and he
My son poked his eye with a toy and i put ice on it and he went to bed a couple hours later and then woke up crying that his eye hurt. He said the light hurt it so i didn't get a good look at it so i … read more
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD
I first felt and then saw a small worm inch across my eye
I first felt and then saw a small white worm inch across my eye till it got to the corner of my eye and then disappeared from my view. I had and still have pain or pressure behind that eye which gener… read more
About a week ago, during a major migraine headache with much
About a week ago, during a major migraine headache with much nausea and vomitting, I felt severe sharp stabbing pains on the inside corner of my right eye. Almost immediately, I noticed that there wer… read more
Radiation Oncology Attending Director,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I wear contacts and a few days ago my left eye dried out
I wear contacts and a few days ago my left eye dried out really bad. I slept in the contact then the next day took out the contact before sleep then woke up and put the contact back in and later last … read more
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
My wife was poked in the eye about 5 hrs ago. No redness, a
My wife was poked in the eye about 5 hrs ago. No redness, a little swelling, no other visible damage to my naked eye, but she cannot see clearly out of that eye. Do you think we should head to the eme… read more
Dr. James
Dr. James
I was awakened yesterday morning about 4:30 am with sever
I was awakened yesterday morning about 4:30 am with sever pain in my left eye. I could not open the eye, but managed to get a washrag, put it into extremely hot tap water and press it to my eye. As so… read more
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Board Certified Ophthalmologist,
My 4-year-old daughter was poked in the eye by her younger
Hi, My 4-year-old daughter was poked in the eye by her younger brother, and she is still crying on and off after 45 minutes. She won't let us look at it, and is keeping it closed. It's also late, and … read more
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan
Ophthalmologist,
I accidently poked myself in the eye two days ago with the
I accidently poked myself in the eye two days ago with the end of pointed, sharp tweezers. It didn't hurt, but my eye started to water immediately. Since then my vision in that eye has been blury. It … read more
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Board Certified Ophthalmologist,
My husband came home from work today and unfortunately its
My husband came home from work today and unfortunately its the weekend and our eye doctor's office is closed. So hopefully you can help. He has 2 small black spots on his iris. Its not a freckle or an… read more
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens
Ophthalmologist,
Stop searching for answers—
L eye discomfort for about 9 mo. Spoke to optometrist last
L eye discomfort for about 9 mo. Spoke to optometrist last summer. He thought the eye looked healthy, strengthened the contact lens slightly. Continued to bother me off and on. Last week sudden increa… read more
Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz
MS, Fellowship Trained
I have a red spot (1mm dia) on the iris of my left eye just
I have a red spot (1mm dia) on the iris of my left eye just under the pupil. My vision in that eye has been getting cloudy after about 1-hour following awakening. It seems stable now unless i bend ove… read more
Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz
MS, Fellowship Trained
The corner of my right eye is a little red and its
The corner of my right eye is a little red and its sensitive. I now have a little redness on my face around my eye. I just took out my contact. Is this something I need to worry about? How do I take c… read more
Dr. James
Dr. James
My right eye has been bleeding since last Tuesday. It
Hi, My right eye has been bleeding since last Tuesday. It started as the typical red spot on the outside quadrant and has slowly progressed to cover the lower entire right half and now the botom of th… read more
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan
Ophthalmologist,
For two days my right eye has been bloodshot .Tonight I
For two days my right eye has been bloodshot .Tonight I notice a white spot next to the pupil. I am not having any vision problems, my eye is not itchy, there is no discharge.… read more
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan
Ophthalmologist,
My eye is swollen, and very red and irritated. The part of
My eye is swollen, and very red and irritated. The white part of the eye is very gooey, and sort of feels like it is falling out, but the cornea is still taut and seems fine. What is this, what can I … read more
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens
Ophthalmologist,