Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Seeing a red spot in the center of my vision in both eyes.

Customer Question

I am seeing a red spot in the center of my vision in both eyes. It is not causing any problem with my vision. It goes away if I stare at the wall or flick my eyes from side to side. I have a blood sugar issue but have been keeping my blood sugar below 150 and usually it is below 130. This is without insulin. The red spots started a few days ago. Sometimes the spots are clear or blue. I am 75 years old with no vision problems. I have an eye chart on the wall in my office and can see the 20/13 line pretty well with both eyes open. No problem with night vision. I don't take any drugs, just a lot of vitamins and other supplements
This is happening since 3 days. Sometimes changes in light level will make the spots appear. If I close my eyes right now, the spots appear when I open my eyes but they disappear almost immediately.
I had a blood sugar crisis in Jan of this year. Blood sugar was above 950. I have a slight amount of peripheral neuropathy in my fingers and toes. I didn't see a doctor from 1981 until the blood sugar crisis this year. I should have had a blood sugar test and researched the peripheral neuropathy before I had the crisis as the neuropathy started in 2013. I should have done some research on the Internet and I probably would have avoided the crisis.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome. I'm Dr Chip

You need to get this checked out right away

This is either a bilateral partial retinal detachment or possibly transient ischemic attacks--threatened strokes.

You need to let your doctor know about this now or get to an ER where you can see an ophthalmologist on an urgent basis or get a neurological exam and an MRI of your brain.

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Right now the spots disappear very fast. I took some iron about an hour ago and it seems to be making the spots disappear. I was in a rehab center for 8 weeks after the blood sugar crisis. I was short of iron while I was in the rehab center. Symptoms were very poor stamina when walking and bright spots in my vision. 18 mg of iron cleared both of these in less than 8 hours.

That was just a coincidence--the iron couldn't actually have an effect on your vision problem.

I'm not trying to be alarmist here but if you were my patient I'd insist you get to the ER right now.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This obviously has something to do with my retina accommodating changes in light level. Right now the spots are disappearing very fast (in about 200 msec). If the spots are still with me on Monday or if they are worse tomorrow or Sunday, I will go to the ER or on Monday I will see an eye doctor. Thank you for your help.

My pleasure but let me know how it goes.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 9 months ago.

What you are experiencing is called entoptic phenomenon. These are images whose source is actually inside the eye itself. There are different manifestations of entoptical effects, depending on how they are generated. Blue field entoptic phenomenon looks like tiny bright dots, or bugs, moving along a wiggley racetrack. These are easier to see when looking at a uniformly lit area such as the blue sky, an illuminated wall in your home or a field of pure blue light. What you are actually seeing in this case are white blood cells racing through the capillaries in front of the macula, or central part, of your retina.

The Purkinje tree is another example of an entoptic phenomenon. This is an image of your blood vessels, located above the retinal photoreceptors, inside your eye. It is best seen by shining a small bright light against your closed eyelids, against your eyeball, or obliquely through your pupil, and wiggling the light quickly back and forth. You may have experienced this image when being examined by your ophthalmologist with the bright light she has on her head. You don't normally see this image as your retina is adapted to the shadow they cast however, when you shine the light from the side, the adaptation is defeated and you see the vessels.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS