Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I woke up yesterday with half of one eye part completely

Customer Question

I woke up yesterday with half of one eye white part completely blood red. I have been told I have dry eyes but haven't been bothered in that eye lately. This happed once last summer only it was the whole white of the eye affected. I called my opthalmogists office and was told by his staff that I should use eyedrops. It was nearly a week before it cleared up - but they didn't think it was necessary to talk to a doctor. I had never had this before and it is scary to look into a mirror and see a blood red eye- something must be causing it. Help!
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: This time a day and a half - last time at least a week.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: He should have a complete history- I have autoimmune diseases - graves disease (taken care of with radio active iodine)now on replacement care synthroid. Also RA controlled with methotrexate only. Also C.A.D. (stent placed after a heart attack). In September diagnosed with AFIB - October had the heart shocked back into rythem.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 9 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Uzair.
I am reviewing your post and will get back to your reply momentarily.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 9 months ago.

From your history and symptoms and especially affecting one eye suggest diagnosis of conjunctivitis that is inflammation of the white part and it is viral infection. You should use lacritube or artificial tears to reduce irritation and mostly it is contagious so avoid shaking hands with your family and friends and use shades while going out.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 9 months ago.

Please let me know if you have followup questions.