Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (non-eye specialty)
Experience:  Many years of outpatient practice managing eye injuries and common disorders
18722459

After about four years of alcohol abuse, i entered a

Customer Question

Hi. After about four years of alcohol abuse, i entered a treatment facility, and have not had a drink of alcohol for about 8 months. I still have some jaundice, yellowing of the eyes, and swelling of my ankles. I am on 20mg. of furosemide. I am told it will get better, but i don't know when.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is your eye itchy?
Customer: It has been for about 8 months. My eyes don't get itchy, but they do seem like they are burning a bit.
JA: Is there anything else in your medical history you would like the doctor to know?
Customer: I did suffer some liver cirrhosis, but appear to be functioning normaly. Ok. Thank you very much.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome. I'm Dr Chip

I need some more information please--

Do you know the latest results of your liver function tests and did you have a scan of your liver?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did not have a liver scan, as my family physician did not think it was necessary. My bilurium level was slightly elevated. But he also stated that my enzyme level and potassium was back to normal. He stated it would take time, but it just seems to be worse in the morning, and better throughout the day.Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for that.

I would get the scan just to determine the extent of the cirrhosis, and that part will never improve since it's scarring.

But fortunately the rest of your liver has the ability to regenerate and heal and since your enzymes are normal then you should be over all this and back to normal within another three months, so long as you abstain from any alcohol.

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you Dr. I appreciate your advice. And I will never go back to drinking. Take care.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 9 months ago.

My pleasure entirely but keep in touch and please remember to give me a positive rating for my service to you.