Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I had a question about a swollen lymph node. Is this

Customer Question
Hi, I had a question...
Hi, I had a question about a swollen lymph node. Is this something you might be of assistance with?
JA: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?
Customer: I have had no recent injury. It is on the right side of my neck and has been swollen for approximately ~4 months. It is not very large or noticeable with the naked eye, but is approximately twice the size of the left side.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I was seem by a dermatologist recently for excessive hair shedding. I am a 27 year old female and noticed larger than normal amounts of hair being shed. Other than that there is nothing to note. seen*
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Eye
10/13/2016
Eye Doctor: Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Anthony Bray, MD

Hello!

Lymph nodes are throughout our bodies and these being present is of course normal...

At times they become reactive if an infection is affecting them

This is most common for the ones at the front of the neck ...

Sore throats / upper respiratory infections / dental infections --- these common infections will frequently be associated with reactive lymph nodes

Now normal lymph node dimesions are less than 1 cm =10 mm or about the size of a bean

Reactive lymph nodes usually settle go back toward normal within a few months ...

So it sounds that you probably have noted a reactive lymph node

It sounds that it has persisted for a bit longer than typical ...nothing extreme though

Have your doctor examine it for a baseline and plan a reasonable follow up if felt necessary...

Sometimes a large feeling node may be 2 together ..

If they feel unusually large and firm or enlarge over time then we may evaluate further at times with an ultrasound

At times we might refer to an ENT specialist and large firm lymph nodes that are suspicious in character may be removed for biopsy .

That is not usually necessary in the vast majority of cases that are brought to our attention such as your case presentation

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Eye Doctor: Moe Zafarani, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Moe Zafarani
Moe Zafarani, Doctor

I'll be happy to help.

Can you please explain the exact injury that you suffered?

Moe Zafarani
Moe Zafarani
Moe Zafarani, Doctor