Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I have bumps on my upper eyelids and it seems the quickest

Customer Question

Hello, I have bumps on my upper eyelids and it seems the quickest way to have the removed is by laser
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is your eyelid swollen at all?
Customer: no it isn't had them for years they have lessened with my colestorol getting lower
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I am diabetic and my cholesterol was 167 last checked
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

Can you attach a picture of the bumps here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no

Well since there are no pictures, ill answer the question based on the information that you have provided

The first thing which comes to mind after hearing about your bumps is that these sound to be xanthelasmas which are small yellowish bumps which occur due to increased amount of cholesterol in the body. Secondly since they have improved after the cholesterol level went down that also lends more credence to the fact that they are xanthelasmas.

Now if this is the case then medical treatment would only reduce the size and not completely remove them from the eyelids. And you are right in suspecting that laser removal would be one of the methods to remove them. Now while laser removal is a quick method to remove them, there is a chance of this leading to hypopigmentation or even scarring in some cases. That is why selection has to be made very carefully as to which of the procedures can be used. LAser therapy along with chemical cauterization are two of the most common methods which are used.

One method can be surgical excision of the lesion which can minimize the scarring when done by a trained plastic surgeon. However if the lesions are small and superficial then YES laser therapy would be the way to go. The other option in case of small and superficial lesions would be chemical cauterization.

Do you have any more questions? If you would like to know something else or something in regards ***** ***** laser procedure please let me know and i will be happy to answer your questions.

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/