How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel Sheibley, MD Your Own Question
Daniel Sheibley, MD
Daniel Sheibley, MD, Doctor
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 1834
Experience:  MD Grad Jefferson Medical College 2009. Internal Med intern 2010 & Radiology residency 2011. Husband & father of two.
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Daniel Sheibley, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I woke up this morning with a stinging pain in the back left

Customer Question

I woke up this morning with a stinging pain in the back left corner of my left eye. It comes in waves, it will be fine for 15 minutes then a searing pain will come on and my eye will water like crazy. It's gotten worse at the day has gone on. I bought some Clear Eyes and when I put the drops in it stung very bad but seemed to help a little bit. But the pain is still coming in waves. Any idea what this could be??
JA: Did you have a recent injury to the eye? How is your vision?
Customer: Not that I know of, no. And my vision is fine. Except for when the wave comes on and my eye waters like crazy.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I wear glasses, never contacts. I have a stigmatism. Nothing other than that. No blunt trauma ever or anything like that.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Daniel Sheibley, MD replied 1 year ago.

You must have a foreign body in your eye that got introduced during your sleep. Try holding your eye open and pouring a cup of water in it (you'll need help for that as you'll hold your eyelids up and out a bit to make space for the foreign body to be washed away. If this does not work and the pain still continues then I'd recommend seeing an optometrist or your primary care physician today. Eyedrops alone may not accomplish success. You need a larger volume of water to rinse it out.

Did I answer your question to satisfaction?

A positive rating is the only way I am credited for my expertise. Please don't rate bad or poor service. If your aren't 100% satisfied, click reply instead.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've tried that several times already.
Expert:  Daniel Sheibley, MD replied 1 year ago.

Then at this point you should see an optometrist. They will invert your eyelids and be able to successfully take this out.