Dr SH
Dr SH, Certified physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I started Zoloft 25mg the last week in July. My doctor

Customer Question

I started Zoloft 25mg the last week in July. My doctor bumped me up to 50mg a week and a half later. I was prescribed Zoloft for OCD/hypochondria. Two days of being on 50mg caused burning eyes, nostrils, ect. It felt like I was sitting in a smoky bar all day, but I'm never around second hand smoke. So I tapered myself off and have been completely off Zoloft for a week and a half. However, now, at least once a day, I'm having a strong cigar smell in my right nostril. I can smell/almost taste it in the back of my throat. When I'm smelling the cigar smell, I can pick up a candle, smell it, and it will smell like whatever flavor it is. So it's not like the smell is in the air. Although I had an MRI of my brain with and without contrast a little over two years ago, I'm pretty terrified this is a brain tumor. What's going on? Should I be afraid of brain cancer?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr SH replied 1 year ago.

Hi there.
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. SH and will be helping you out with your concerns today.

Expert:  Dr SH replied 1 year ago.

I think it is your anxiety getting the better of you.

VERY UNLIKELY to be anything serious or anything to worry about.

If it were a brain tumor it would have surely been seen on the MRI that you have had.

Throat cancer does not happen in such a short period of time.

Also, throat cancer is a painless condition.

It is only in the advanced stages of cancer that it becomes painful.

I would not worry whatsoever.

This session is open for any further questions that you may have.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even if my brain MRI was two years ago? Can a brain tumor or brain cancer grow in that time?
Expert:  Dr SH replied 1 year ago.

Yes, brain tumors do not develop that quickly.

So I would not worry whatsoever.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr SH replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome.

Kindest regards