Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I got a small amount of hair dye in my eye yesterday. My

Customer Question

I got a small amount of hair dye in my eye yesterday. My eyesight was slightly blurry in that eye yesterday but is fine today. There is no real swelling but as I close my eyes, there is a slight burning which goes away. My hairdresser says the dye has 20 volume peroxide in it. It was a very small amount - a drop maybe?
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Have you been having any headaches?
Customer: Dealing with it since yesterday. No headaches.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Nothing that i can think of that would relate to the eyes. i just had my doctor do a thorough exam with dilation and everything was normal except I do wear glasses.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for this question. If your doctor did an exam after your got the hair dye in your eye and it was fine then it is nothing to worry about. It is possible the hair dye irritated the cornea and other tissues in the eyelids which is causing the burning sensation at the moment. Since the blurring of vision has improved i believe these other symptoms should pass as well. In the meantime you just need to monitor the symptoms and see if you develop anything new like redness, blurring of vision, pain in the eye or swelling, if those appear then you need to be re=-evaluated for corneal injuries.

If your doctor has not seen you after the hair dye incident, then it would be wise to see him IF the burning persists another 24-48 hours, but i think it should fade away as you dont have any worsening of the symptoms. Hydrogen peroxide in this amount shouldnt cause lasting damage to the eye as you must have washed it out at the time as well.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/