How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 64692
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
Type Your Eye Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 18 year old son has allergies and he touched a Guinea pig

Customer Question

My 18 year old son has allergies and he touched a Guinea pig and rubbed his eyes. we gave him allegra D and some allergy eye drops. now the bot***** ***** part of his eye has a jelly blob on it and the white of his eye seems swollen. should I take him to ER?
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is your eye itchy?
Customer: He touched the animal 2 hours ago. He took the allegra an hour ago...and the eye drops 15 mins ago. He has itchy eyes all the time from allergies. it was itchy, but it isn't now...its just irritated and feels full.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no hes healthy..just bad allergies
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  DIEGO BONILLA replied 1 year ago.


This is Dr. Bonilla.

I understand your concerns.

Any shortness of breath? Do you have a picture?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No shortness of breath..he feels fine..just concerned about the hell in the white of his eye
Expert:  DIEGO BONILLA replied 1 year ago.

For now you can wait for the next 6 hours to see if the symptoms improve. Meanwhile he can take cetirizine. Avoid further exposure and see his PCP to prevent further episodes. Let me know if you have other questions.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.


I have seen this situation before.

Take him to the ER.

The eye can keep on swelling and this probably need a shot or pill of prednisone.

That is safe.

I have seen the swelling go to emense proportions and it is scary for everyone.

I am a double board certified US doctor.

Please click a positive rating.

Find me as needed by request and save time for correct, fast and safe answers.

Use a long request lock and "For Dr. Thomas only" in the title.